Chapter 19-Stormy Anniversary

_________________________________
"So how do I say goodbye,"
"To someone who's been with me for my whole damn life,"
"You gave me my name and the color of your eyes,"
"I see your face when I look at mine,"
"So how do I, how do I, how do I say goodbye?..."
_________________________________

Julie's POV

(Song-Lost Without You-Instrumental by Freya Ridings)

"Hey mama..." Julie kneeled in front of the queen's grave, placing a fresh dahlia flower on top of the headstone. It was the one year anniversary of Rose's passing, and after being with her family all day Julie had desperately needed to be alone, just for a moment. Because she couldn't stop thinking about her mom, and she often visited anyways, it wasn't long before Julie had found herself climbing the dahlia-coated hill.

She told Rose all about the dreadful day, how Julie was struggling more than she had in weeks. How she appreciated everyone being there for her but how it also made things so much worse because it was just depressing. She told her that she missed her, but that she was doing better. That she was actually starting to live again, even if she would've given anything to have her there with her.

It was a while before Julie rose and noticed the clouds. A storm was very blatantly rolling in, and the day around her had become dark...but she couldn't bring herself to return to the castle as she stared at the grave.

Muffled footsteps approached behind her, just before a throat was cleared. Julie rotated to see Luke, Alex, and Reggie shuffling their feet a little ways down the hill. She gave them a small smile of encouragement to come closer, and they did.

"Is it, um...okay if we say some words?" Alex gestured to the headstone.

Julie nodded, moving to stand with them. The guys exchanged glances, trying to decide who would go first, but eventually Reggie stepped forward. He spoke to Rose.

"I know we uh, never knew you, but you seem like an awesome lady. With killer taste too. Especially in husbands, Ray is awesome."

"Yeah your decorating is amazing. Your studio is really uh, unique." Alex added.

"And your daughter's pretty cool too." Luke winked at Julie.

"And your husband."

Luke laid a hand on Reggie's shoulder. "Okay man, I think she gets it."

Afterwards they stared at Julie, probably wondering what the hell they should do next. With a start Reggie looked around, suddenly rushing over to a crop of dahlia flowers. He picked three, handing one to Luke and Alex each. Julie could've cried when they walked up to the grave and laid the flowers next to her own. It was by far they nicest gesture anyone had made all day, to both her and her mom.

They rejoined her hesitantly, faces withdrawn as they saw her own. Thunder boomed in the distance, stunning them, and Alex suggested they seek shelter.

"C'mon. Let's get you inside." Luke's eyes were soft as he held a hand out to Julie. She complied, stepping into his side, and he wrapped an arm around her shoulders. Alex did the same on her other side and Luke grabbed Reggie. They all walked back up to the castle in a sort of grouped embrace.

——————————

Julie was sulking in the music studio with the boys when Reggie groaned, saying, "okay, I can't take this anymore Julie."

She blinked at him, noticing the warning looks the others gave him. She didn't interrupt him though, not minding the fact that he wasn't tiptoeing around her at all.