The letter

Grace's POV

******

"Dear,

Princess Grace,

I know, in your heart there might be a storm of emotions, perhaps even anger, directed towards me. I want you to understand that every step I took, every decision I made, was not just one, but a culmination of countless reasons, each weighing on my soul like an unshakable burden. The enemies of our royal family were never few, but the moment I conceived of you, the aura of your existence resonated with a power that could not be ignored. Our seers, those who read the patterns of fate, whispered in unison: you were someone special, someone destined for greatness. The very notion of your existence became both our blessing and our curse.

When you were born, the night was alight with an ethereal glow beneath the new moon's gaze. The heavens themselves seemed to celebrate your arrival. But in that same moment, our world plunged into chaos. Attacks rained upon us, and our own people turned against us, all because of the extraordinary destiny that was now embodied in you. Your father, in his valiant sacrifice, left us to protect the treasure we held within your tiny form.

I took you away, to the sanctuary of an old friend's abode, when you were just a tiny, fragile being. I lacked the gifts of regal blood and the blessings of the moon Goddess, a double-edged sword that rendered me unable to shield you indefinitely. I realized that you couldn't remain hidden forever, and so I sought to ensure your future. Leaving you without a pack, without the teachings of our kind, was not an option. You needed to learn, to grow strong, to embrace the fierce spirit within you.

The Greater River Pack, a bastion of power and wisdom, was the solution I found. A dear acquaintance resides there, one I trust with my life and yours. In her, you will find not just protection, but mentorship. She is a good soul, someone who will guide you with the same love I would.

You carry within you powers that surpass imagination, gifts bestowed upon you by fate itself. These gifts will illuminate your path, even in the darkest of hours. I want you to understand that though hardships may weave the fabric of your life, you are not alone. Your journey is destined to be arduous, yet you are not without allies. The thread of your fate is interwoven with a destiny far greater than any of us can comprehend. Do not fear the trials; instead, embrace them, for they are but stepping stones toward your ultimate purpose.

My love, please remember that I will come to you once you are old enough to bear the weight of truth. The time will come when I can reveal the intricacies of your destiny, when I can share the secrets that have been veiled from you. Until then, do not despair. Your path, though daunting, is guided by forces beyond our mortal understanding. Your destiny is a beacon that will lead you to the purpose you were born to fulfill.

With unyielding love and eternal hope,

Your Devoted Mother"

******

I folded the worn parchment and put it into the envelope again, my heart pounding in my chest as the words of my mother's letter danced before my eyes. The flickering candlelight painted shadows on the walls, mirroring the emotions that swirled within me. Dean stood beside me, a silent pillar of strength.

As I traced the faded words written on the envelope, the truth written in the letter shattered my world: my mother had been forced to abandon me as an infant. The weight of the prophecy, the danger that lurked around me, it all weighed heavily on me. Dean's presence offered a silent reassurance, his steady gaze a lifeline in the storm of revelations.

"Dean," I whispered, the weight of the words sinking in, "my mother... she had no choice. She had to leave me to protect me from the threats tied to the prophecy."

His nod conveyed understanding; a shared acknowledgment of the sacrifices made for my safety. I continued, my voice a fragile thread in the heavy silence, "She sacrificed her own happiness to give me a chance at a normal life. I can't blame her for that, can I?" I searched Dean's eyes for validation.

"No, Grace," he replied, his voice a steady anchor. "Your mother made a selfless choice. She wanted to shield you from the burden of your destiny until you found your fate or someone who could share the load and protect you. That someone is Alexander, and I'm also here, to protect you."

A sigh escaped my lips, a mixture of relief and sorrow. "But why did it all happen in the first place? Why are humans so greedy for the things which are not theirs? If only they didn't hunger over what's others, then I would have had a complete family. I would not be so broken before I met my mate and you."

Dean took a deep breath, his words measured. "I love the way you are. I don't want any other version of you, you are the best one. I hate what you have been through. I don't even want to think of those two years you were among those monsters, but maybe that's what made you so special. It made you so strong, so compassionate towards all the beings." He traced his fingers across my cheeks. "Xander would say the same and feel the same. You are everything to him. And I've been your protector for so long, preventing the prophecy from casting a dark cloud over you. I am honored to be your protector."

Tears welled in my eyes, a complex tide of gratitude and sadness. "So, I'm a princess from a royal family, a prophecy child, " I murmured, the weight of the revelation settling on my shoulders.

Dean nodded; his expression solemn. "Yes, Grace. But you're not defined by your title or the prophecy. You are who you choose to be. Strong, compassionate, and loved. With Alexander by your side and me as your unwavering protector, you have the power to shape your destiny."

I reached for Dean's hand, our fingers intertwining. "Thank you, Dean. For being there, for protecting me, and for helping me understand. I may be a princess, but with you and Alexander, I am so much more."

Dean squeezed my hand, a silent promise in his gaze.