Chapter One - Introduction

When the carriage rumbled down the road towards Blackwood Manor, Eleanor Campbell looked outside. When she learned that the Duke of Arden, one of the country's wealthiest and most prominent men, would hire her as a governess for his children, she couldn't believe her luck. Ms Bennett was eager to send Eleanor away as there had been rumours from previous governesses that the Duke was a stern and demanding employer. Regardless of Ms Bennett's ill wishes of trying to torment the orphaned governess, Eleanor was confident in her ability to teach and care for children. She always had a way with young ones and had tutored several families in her hometown of Edinburgh before being whisked away to a position with a noble family.

Eleanor's nerves started to act up as the carriage approached the impressive entrance to Blackwood Manor house. She took a deep breath and straightened her clothes, attempting to look composed as the footman unlocked the door.

            Eleanor stood at the entrance of Blackwood Manor, her heart pounding in her chest. This was all real; she was actually hired as the governess of the Duke's daughters. The manor was a grand and imposing structure with tall columns and ornate carvings adorning its façade. The entrance was flanked by two colossal oak doors held open by a pair of liveried footmen. After stepping through the doors, Eleanor's mouth dropped open in shock at the breath-taking scene that greeted her; the entrance hall was even more gorgeous than she had envisioned. There were statues made of marble and intricate tapestries hanging on the walls, and the room was filled with the heady aroma of freshly cut flowers.

            A sweeping staircase to the upper floors could be seen to her left, lit by a glittering chandelier. There was a corridor of doors to her right that led to various rooms and parlours.

            Ahem

            Startled, Eleanor remembered that she still stood at the door. Noticing the butler, "forgive me" ran out of her mouth, surprising her as she had not yet stumbled over her words.

            "The name is Arnold. I am the caretaker and butler of Blackwood Manor. if you are to have any questions during your stay here, please do look out for me," Arnold smiled, eyes crinkling, showing his age but immense kindness. He gestured to follow him and started walking to a sitting room, where she has noticed a tall figure standing by the window.

            The Duke.

            The Duke was a stoic-looking individual who stood at a great height and had thick shoulders. His dark hair was parted on the side in a clean fashion, and he sported a neat side part. Eleanor entered the room, and his sharp eyes assessed her from head to toe, causing Eleanor to feel a shiver run down her spine.

"Miss Campbell," he said in a deep, commanding voice. "Welcome to Blackwood Manor. I trust your journey was satisfactory?"

Eleanor curtsied low, her heart pounding against her ribs, trying to find some escape. "Your Grace," she said, her voice barely above a whisper.

"Yes, Your Grace. Thank you for the opportunity to serve as the governess to your daughters," she said slightly louder, eyes still fixated on the floor.

The Duke nodded and gestured for her to sit, a faint hint of a smile playing at the corners of his mouth. She perched on the edge of a plush armchair opposite him. "Very well. Allow me to introduce you to my daughter," he said, voice-clipped and business-like. With his palm up, he stopped Eleanor from taking another step. "I must emphasise that my children are of utmost importance to me, and I expect nothing but the best from those around them, especially those taking part in their upbringing."

"Of course, Your Grace. I am fully committed to this role and shall do anything in my power to meet beyond your expectations." Eleanor swallowed nervously but tried to maintain her composure.