Chapter 8 - Ball I

It was approaching final day of the guest's stay and a few days since Lady Caroline's injury. The estate was bustling with activity as preparations continued for the upcoming ball. Attendants were scurrying around, setting up decorations and polishing the silver and crystal. So she kept herself busy assisting them, making sure everything was in order.

            Eleanor was excited to attend, and see the guests. But she worried over Lady Caroline's words, and how the Dowager Duchess is also to be arriving. From what Eleanor heard about the Duke's mother, it seems like the Duke is to be arranged once again.

            On the morning of the ball, Eleanor woke up early to assist in finishing the final preparations. While helping, she had just finished setting up the candles and flowers when she heard someone approaching. It was the Duke himself.

            He spotted her and strode towards her. He smiled and said, "hello, I hope you remember my note that I left with the dresses. I have something you can wear for this evening."

            Eleanor looked up, eyes widened, "Your Grace, you gave me quite a lot of dresses. There are some that I can wear for today. Please you have done enou-"

            The Duke abruptly cut her off. "-Eleanor, please, I would be delighted if you accepted it. I have it in my study, would you like to come with me to see it?"

            It took some convincing for Eleanor to follow the Duke into his study. She entered and the chamber enveloped her in a calm grandeur. His desk took up most of the space in the middle, and leather-bound books lined the walls all the way up to the lofty ceiling. Thismust be another study of his.

            She sat on one of the plush armchairs. Eleanor felt quite intimidated by the grandeur of the room. Once seated, the Duke began to speak.

            "Now, time for your dress," he smiled, handing her a large box.

While taking the box from him, Eleanor felt his fingers brush against hers causing a flutter of nerves to overwhelm her. Yet looking at the box, excitement grew as she had been eager to attend the ball. Setting the box in front of her, she opened it and saw the garment inside. It was beautiful, nothing like she had ever seen.

"Are you sure I can have this?" forcing her eyes away from the dress and placing them onto the duke.

He nodded and her focus resumed on the dress. It was crafted from the softest silk and dyed a morning blue, a colour Eleanor learnt was currently in fashion. The fitted bodice was embellished with gold intricate needlework, and the flared skirt glistened with sequins. Eleanor had still yet to comprehend that this was hers.

Seeing her reaction, the Duke smiled at her. A faint blush creeping into his cheeks, "I'm glad you like it, Eleanor. Come stand in front of the mirror, there you can see the dress in its full beauty."

She let the Duke take her hand and guide her to the tall and heavily carved mirror. The Duke then lifted Eleanor's garment by standing behind her and raised it to her chest. As he inspected the dress's fit, he drew near enough for her to feel his warm breath on the back of her neck.

Eleanor could feel the heat radiating off the Duke, her heart rapidly beating against its cage. Her cheeks flushed like a sunset, all shades of orange and pink, as she fought for air. The very presence of him rendered her unable to tear her gaze from her own reflection in the mirror.

"You wear it wonderfully, my dear Eleanor. Quite simply, you are a vision." The Duke's breath tickled her ear as he spoke in a low, husky voice.

Eleanor could see how his eyes drank her appearance, leaving them to fall heavy and barely open. With the Duke's fingertips lightly touching the base of her neck, she felt her self-moving allowing him to touch her throat. She couldn't fight the allure of his touch or his magnetic personality.

Eyes hazy in desire, she looks in the mirror and watches him brush his lips against her near her ear. She let out a gasp, but stayed near. She felt the rumble of his chest as he let out a laugh. He resumed back to his affection and started peppering kisses along her neck, breathing her in.

"Your Grace-"

"-Let me, I won't go too far", He takes the dress placing it on the chair she once occupied and turned her to face him. He held her face, taking in her appearance. "I must say, Eleanor, you're incredibly intoxicating."

He lets his eyes fall on her bitten lips and then back at her eyes. Almost as if he was asking for her permission. Eleanor nodded, slowly, her mind painted with the Duke. She watched as his eyes crinkled, and then lean in. Her eye started to close, and she waited for his lips to grace hers. Her heart was a wild bird, trapped in a cage, fluttering and beating against the bars with increasing intensity. She –

Knock Knock Knock Knock

Eleanor's eyes flew open, watching the intense moment she had with the Duke shatter on the ground and bury itself under the rug. Unfortunately, the Duke's hands left her, their mark forever engrained forcing her to remember her betrayal to her role.

The Duke smooths his hair back with his fingers and straightens his tie. He approached the door, barely opening it to prevent Eleanor from being seen in her state.. To calm her beating heart, Eleanor leans against the wall and takes a deep breath. She then quickly put the dress neatly in its box.

Once she calmed herself, the Duke turned to her and said, "It is Lady Caroline, she is here for the ball, can you show her to her room?"

Afraid to look into his eyes, she nodded and curtsied before taking the box and finding the Lady.

"Lady Caroline, I hope all is well with your ankle" Eleanor said, wanting to fill the silence but also wanting to prevent her mind to think about the Duke. Eleanor starts to lead Lady Caroline down the hallway.

"Yes, I managed to heal quite quickly. I can once again walk."

The conversation seemed awkward and the both of them decided to refrain from speaking anymore. Eleanor could tell that Lady Caroline wanted the Duke to walk her to her room. Once they arrived, Eleanor excused herself and went beck to her own room.

Now alone, Eleanor places the box on her bed and lays next to it. She can feel her heart pounding in her chest as she thinks about the Duke, and his lips. His incredibly soft lips, and his warm and comforting hands surrounding her.

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

This is a shorter chapter because the next chapter is a continuation. If I left it as one chapter it would be rather long.

Thanks for reading, be sure to vote, comment and add to your library so you don't miss any updates.

I'm obsessed with classical music, if you can't tell by the songs I put on the chapters.