Chapter 17 - A Serenade of Hearts

In the softly lit drawing-room of the Blackwood Manor, Eleanor stood at the front, her posture poised and her demeanour gentle yet firm. The day's lesson had begun, and Elizabeth and Mary, two eager young minds, sat with an air of anticipation, their eyes bright with curiosity.

"Today my dears," Eleanor began, her voice gentle yet commanding, "we shall embark on a journey through the pages of history. Our topic of discussion is the great kingdoms of the past."

Eleanor's voice, like a lilting melody, filled the room as she began the day's lesson on history. She spoke of kings and queens, battles and conquests, transporting the girls to the countries long past. The room seemed to come alive with the tales of old, and Eleanor's passion for knowledge was infectious. They were eager to learn, their inquisitive minds absorbing every detail she offered.

Elizabeth raised her hand, her voice tinged with excitement. "Miss Campbell, did you know that Papa often talks about kings and wars at the dinner table? What does he do when he's away from the manor?"

Eleanor smiles, her eyes twinkling with warmth at Elizabeth's question. "Your papa, as the Duke of Arden, has many responsibilities outside the manor," she replied, her words carefully chosen to explain his duties without overwhelming the young minds. "He attends to matters of the estate and engages in important discussions with other nobles and officials."

Mary's watercolour eyes widened with intrigue, her inquisitive nature driving her to ask another question. "Does papa have to fancy clothes all the time, like the ones he wore at the ball?"

Eleanor chuckled softly, finding delight in their curiosity. "Yes, indeed, Mary. When your papa attends formal events or meets with important guests. He wears splendid attire befitting his status as the Duke."

The girls listened keenly, their minds eager to soak in every detail about their father's world. Eleanor continued to weave stories of history, gently incorporating glimpses of the Duke's life without overwhelming them.

As the lesson continued, the girls' questions danced like fireflies in the air, illuminating their minds with newfound knowledge. Eleanor found herself enchanted by their curiosity, guiding them through the wonders of the past while subtly addressing their queries about their father.

Elizabeth raised her hand once more, her brown eyes shining with eagerness. "Miss Campbell, I heard papa has to go back to London soon, do you think he will be gone for long?"

Eleanor's heart softened, understanding the yearning of young hearts for the presence of their father. "I believe he will return when his duties allow, my dear," she replied, her voice gentle and reassuring. "He loves you both dearly and will be here whenever he can."

As the lesson drew to a close, the girls' minds brimmed with newfound knowledge, and Eleanor's heart swelled with pride at their progress. Their curiosity had paved the way for a beautiful exchange of ideas, drawing her even closer to the young souls she held dear.

***

Under the gentle embrace of the sun, Eleanor and the Duke, or rather Nicholas, sat in the blooming garden, savouring the sweetness of afternoon tea. The fragrant scent of freshly brewed tea mingled with the delicate aroma of blossoms, creating an atmosphere of tranquillity and intimacy. Their hands touching with an intimacy that spoke of their deepening connection. Eleanor felt a newfound ease in Nicholas' presence, no longer encumbered by formality but allowed to address him as the man he truly was – Nicholas, not the distant Duke.

Nicholas smiled warmly at Eleanor, his eyes alight with affection as he watched the playful antics of Elizabeth and Mary. "Is it not a sight to behold, Eleanor? Their laughter brings a joy to my heart that I never knew I was missing."