Chapter 29 - A Walk Amongst Shadows

Eleanor and Paul once again strolled along the winding paths surrounding the village. Earthy fragrance of dew-kissed grass enveloping them, as their skin bathed in the morning sun.

Paul with an amiable smile, stood a few steps behind Eleanor. Whilst observing her carefree state, he said, "Miss Campell, there's a certain serenity in the air today. Don't you agree?"

At hearing her name, Eleanor raised her brow and looked up at Pauls deep set eyes. "I thought we agreed to dismiss the formalities. Are we not friends?"

"Apologies, Eleanor," the Vicar placed a playful emphasis on her name. "Let me correct myself." He then cleared his throat, and straightened his shoulders. "Eleanor, don't you agree that there is such beautiful serenity dancing in the air?"

A small laugh escaped her smiling lips, a rosy hue colouring her cheeks. She shook her head, and continued on with the stroll whilst saying, "Indeed, it's as if nature itself is offering a balm for the soul."

"And How are you feeling, is there any improvements?"

Resting her hand lightly on her abdomen. "Physically, I am better. However, the nausea lingers. It comes and goes, especially in the morning."

Concern embedded itself in Pauls forehead, as his creases form and deepen. "Perhaps we should call the physician again."

"Let me express my gratitude, your care has been more comforting than any remedy."

Their conversation wove between the mundane and the profound. They spoke of the simple joys, which included the laughter of children, and the enduring beauty of the Scottish landscape.

Amidst the tranquillity of the countryside, Eleanor's thoughts wandered, like clock work, to the life she had left behind – the Duke, the manor, the children... the vicar, sensing her contemplation, offered some words of solace.

"We all carry pieces of the past with us, Eleanor. It's what shapes us and guides our steps. But remember, the present is where we shall find out strength, and the future holds the promise of new beginnings."

As they approached the vicarage, the vicar extended an invitation. "Would you care to join me for a simple meal? Nichole has prepared a dish that she claims has healing properties."

Eleanor chuckled, appreciating the vicar's attempt to infuse a touch of lightness into their conversation. "I would be delighted, Vicar. Healing properties or not, a shared meal is always a joy."

Inside the vicarage, Eleanor let the comforting warmth caress her, allowing it to dispel the lingering chill from her walk. The aroma of Nichole's cooking wafted through the air, promising comfort and nourishment.

In the modest kitchen, Nichole greeted them both. "Eleanor, Vicar, I shall hope the fresh air has done you both good. You'll feel even better after a taste of my special broth."

They all gathered around the circular wooden table, and bowls of steaming broth were served.

Paul then spoke with a gentle sincerity, "Miss Campbell, I've been meaning to discuss something with you—an idea that has been taking shape in my mind."

Eleanor looked at him curiously, her spoon pausing midair. "What is it, Vicar?"

Vicar Paul hesitated for a moment, as if choosing his words carefully. "I've observed the impact you've had on the children in the brief time you've been here. Your approach to teaching, your kindness—it has not gone unnoticed."

"I do what I can to provide them a nurturing environment,"

The vicar's eyes held a glint of inspiration. "Indeed, and that's precisely what has led me to this proposal. What if we were to expand our humble school? Your skills are not limited to the classroom, and the village could benefit from a broader educational effort."

Eleanor considered the vicar's proposition, her mind buzzing with the possibilities. "You envision a larger school, then? More children, perhaps even adults seeking knowledge?"

Vicar Paul nodded, his gaze earnest. "Exactly. The thirst for knowledge is not confined to the young. I believe the village could thrive with an educational center that caters to all ages. And, Miss Campbell, with your guidance, I believe we could achieve remarkable things."

Eleanor, stirred by the prospect of such an endeavor, felt a spark of enthusiasm. "It's an ambitious plan, Vicar, but one that holds great promise. Education is a gift that can transform lives."

Nichole, who had been listening intently, chimed in with her characteristic cheerfulness. "And I'll be right there, helping with the little ones and keeping the pot simmering for all the bright minds in our care."

As they continued their meal, the vicar unfolded more details of his vision, and Eleanor found herself drawn into the prospect of contributing to the intellectual growth of the community. The shadows of her past, though lingering, seemed to retreat further as the vicar's vision painted a canvas of hope and purpose.

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

Thanks for reading, please comment or vote and follow for updates!! I appreciate those who have voted, it makes me know that this book is well loved.

And thank you sooo much for 4k reads!! Its insane and incredibly underserving as I have not been providing frequent updates. Thank you