Chapter 4 - New Face

3 months later...

Eleanor, who was having trouble sleeping, decided to pick up a gardening book. It became such a welcoming hobby for her and she soon found herself among the gardeners every weekend. While reading she became aware of a distant noise outside her door. Cautiously getting out of bed, Eleanor walked towards the door. She peeped out and saw a faint glow emanating from under the Duke's office door.

Curiosity got the better of her, the Duke was apparently back but still awake at such a time. Confidence seeming to flow through her, she crept to his door, she thought for a second before knocking softly on the door. There was no response, but it appeared like someone was moving inside because the light was flickering.

Eleanor took a few deep yet shaky breaths and opened the door slowly and cautiously. She looked over, seeing him drink brandy while sitting by the fire and watching the flames. Something about the fire seemed to interest him as he stared rather intently at it. The squeak of the door made him look up, and his eyes locked on her.

For a moment, neither of them were able to speak. The crackle of fire emphasised the silence between them. Eleanor felt a jolt of nervousness as she wondered whether she had crossed some invisible line. However, the Duke nodded at her, effectively encouraging her inside. She then entered, closing the door behind her. The Duke gestured to an armchair placed opposite of him. She gently sat down, a little self-conscious about the fact that she was still in her night gown and that her hair wasn't in its usual braid.

"How was London, Your Grace," Eleanor started the conversation.

"Amicable. Is there something you need, Miss Campbell?" the duke took a sip from his glass. He eyes still fixated on the fire.

"Um... No, Your Grace," her voice barely above a whisper. "I, um, couldn't sleep and heard a sound from your room. I thought I should check if everything was alright, I didn't mean to disturb."

With a quick nod, his attention was back to the hearth. "The fireplace is a place of comfort for me. It is a sobering reminder of the duality of life's beauty and destruction. Like a flickering candle."

Eleanor was confused by this statement, but decided to not press the issue. She did nothing but sit and watch the dancing flames.

The Duke finally broke the silence after waiting a few moments. "You seem to care a lot about the past, as I heard it has become a favoured subject for the girls. Please correct me if I am wrong?"

"It was, is, my favourite subject. Everything is given the chance to become a part of history."

"And what part of history fascinates you?" the Duke said, raising his eyebrow.

Eleanor became animated as she discussed her fondness for the Tudor era. The Duke listened rather keenly, nodding along and offering his own opinions when appropriate.

The governess and the Duke got lost in this conversation, allowing their words to bounce off one another. It seemingly carried on for a while, as the fire seemed to died out and the room grew cold. Yet they remained warm, unaware of their surroundings.

Sadly, the duke got to his feet, which meant that they were at the conclusion of their conversation. He escorted her to the door, he said, "I'm glad we had this chat, Miss Campbell. I pray you are able to sleep well tonight."

Eleanor nodded, grateful to the duke for his kindness. Tonight, she had strengthened her opinion of him, as it confirmed that there was more to him than rumours. Well hopefully this stayed true.