Chapter 20 - Dowager

The final days before the Duke's return passed like a blur, each moment surged with anticipation. The manor seemed to hum, as if the very walls were aware of the reunion of its owner whom shall fill these grand halls with life and laughter.

However, amidst the growing excitement surrounding the grounds, Eleanor's thoughts had began to stray to the letter from the Dowager Duchess. The weight of Her Grace's disapproval lingered like a shadow, casting a heavy veil of uncertainty over Eleanor. She found herself replaying the words, analysing the nuances of each sentence , and wondering what impact her situation with Nicholas would have on her role within the household.

It was in the midst of a piano lesson with the girls, their fingers dancing across the keys, that Mary hurried into the room, her breath laboured.

"Eleanor," Mary exclaimed, her eyes wide with urgency, "you... you must come quickly. The Dowager has arrived, and she is requesting to see the children."

Eleanor's fingers stilled, her heart quickening. She exchanged a quick glance with the girls, their eyebrows crinkling in confusion.

As Mary left the room, Eleanor turned to the girls, her tone gentle yet firm. "My dears, it seems that we have an important guest. I need you both to make yourselves presentable, and we shall gather in the foyer to greet your grandmother, the Dowager Duchess."

Elizabeth and Mary exchanged excited glances, happy to be seeing their grandmother.

After ensuring that the girls were prepared, Eleanor led them to the grand foyer, their footsteps echoing against the marble floors. The anticipation in the air was palpable.

As the girls were taking their seats on the rather long plush sofa, the door swung open, revealing the imposing figure of Her Grace. The Dowager was wearing a befitting gown that exuded an air of authority, she surveyed the room with a critical gaze. Eleanor felt a knot tighten in her stomach as their eyes met, a sense of unease settling over her.

"Grandmother," Elizabeth piped up, her voice fluttering only slightly, "may I present to you Miss Eleanor Campbell, our governess?"

Eleanor curtsied gracefully, her eyes lowering avoiding Her Grace's stern eyes. "Your Grace," She greeted respectfully, her voice thankfully steady.

"Miss Campbell," Her Grace acknowledged with a polite nod, her tone frosty.

As the children exchanged pleasantries with their grandmother, Josie discreetly approached Eleanor, her expression filled with concern.

"Eleanor," Josie whispered, her voice barely audible, "how do you feel?"

"Wary, I'm utterly unaware of what to do and what is right."

Josie offered a sympathetic smile before returning to her duties leaving Eleanor to grapple with the emotions that swirled within her.

***

The late afternoon sun cast a warm glow through the windows of the classroom, illuminating the desks and chalkboard as Eleanor, ever so diligently, went about her duties. The room seemed to come alive under care, almost stating its thanks by granting such a space for her lessons.

While Eleanor meticulously wiped down the chalkboard, her mind sadly drifted to the recent visit from the Dowager Duchess. The conversation had lingered in her mind like a haunting refrain. Eleanor was left with a sense of vulnerability, as if the fabric of her world was delicately poised, ready to unravel at the slightest touch.

Lost in her thoughts, Eleanor did not notice the presence that had entered the room. It was only when a voice, so cold and authoritative, pierced the air that she turned, her neck aching from the sudden movement.

"Miss Campbell," the Dowager began, her tone sharp and unforgiving, "We must discuss a matter of great importance."

Eleanor slowly met Her Grace's gaze, her expression composed as she inclined her head respectfully. "Of course, Your Grace. I am at your disposal."

The Dowager Duchess' lips turned white as they held into a thin smile. "I trust that you have read my letter. I was astounded to see no reply. Do I not have your respect? My worries only occur as I hope you are aware of the expectations that come with tour role within this household."

"I meant no harm, Your Grace. I am committed to fulfilling my responsibilities to the best of my abilities."

"Words are one thing, actions another," Her Grace retorted, her eyers narrowing as she scrutinised Eleanor. "I have heard whispers, child. Whispers of a connection that extends beyond the bounds of propriety. I would advise you to tread carefully and consider the consequences of your choices."

Eleanor opened her mouth to respond, to defend her feelings and the bond she shared with Nicholas, but before she could utter a word, the room seemed to shift.

The door swung open, breaking Eleanor's mind break, and Nicholas, the Duke of Arden strode into the room. His presence was commanding, his eyes ablaze with a mixture of determination and concern.

"Mother," Nicholas' voice was firm, "I must request that you leave. I have matters to discuss with Miss Campbell."

Eleanor watched the interplay between mother and son, a sense of tension hanging in the air like a heavy curtain. The Dowager's eyes narrowed, her lips pursed in a silent display of disapproval.

"Nicholas," Eleanor interjected. "Your Grace, The Dowager Duchess is a guest in your home. It is only proper that we extend her every courtesy."

"Miss Campbell," he began, his tone softening, "I appreciate your consideration, but I must insist."

Eleanor shook her head, her resolve unwavering. "Your Grace, I am more than capable of holding a conversation with you at a later time. It would not be fitting to keep Her Grace waiting."

Nicholas' jaw tightened, his frustration heavily evident. With a reluctant nod, he turned to his mother and offered his arm, guiding her toward the door.

"Very well, Mother. We shall continue this discussion at a later time," Nicholas conceded, his voice tinged with a note of resignation.

As the Duke and his mother exited the room, Eleanor let out a heavy sigh as her hand rested on her chest. Looking around the room once more, she picked up her rag and resumed her cleaning.

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

Question for the chapter: What do you think is going to happen next?? Is the pace of the book alright or is it too fast?

I just rewatched Jane eyre, and oh how wonderful it is. It is such an undervalued classic, and deserves soo much love. 

Thanks for reading, please comment or vote.

I can't believe we have hit chapter 20, 400 reads and 100 votes!!! I'm sooo crazy thankful, I hope you guys will stick with me as I continue to write and hopefully love what I write. Or at least like it hehe.