Chapter 12 - Night of Turmoil

Through the window the moon cast a soft glow which filled Eleanor's room with ethereal hues. Weary by the day's events, Eleanor retired to her own haven in search of comfort inside the boundaries of her fantasies and aspirations. She loosened her robe with quivering hands and let it fall down her slim figure, revealing a weakness that had been concealed under layers of control.

Eleanor sat at the vanity and looked into the mirror with haunted eyes, her fingers tangled in the strands of her amber hair. She saw more than just the physical image staring back at her; she saw the turbulent depths of her own heart, a labyrinth of emotions that threatened to engulf her in their passionate embrace.

Memories and desires entwined like ivy climbing the walls of her mind as the room transformed into a haven of whispers in the stillness of the night. The barrage of feeling that erupted within her and clamoured for expression could no longer be repressed. Eleanor discovered herself giving way to pressure of her own repressed urges, like a delicate vessel on the edge of breaking.

Her fingers, which had formerly been so carefully engaged in weaving her hair, stumbled and fell, causing the velvety strands to flow over her shoulders like a torrent. Like dewdrops sparkling on petals at first light, tears began to fill up in her eyes. Each tear bore the weight of her longing, her dreams and the profound ache that permeated at the very core of her being.

Eleanor saw the cracks in her façade, she had so carefully constructed as she gazed in the mirror at herself. Like a fragile porcelain doll, she had sought to maintain an air of strength and composure, masking the vulnerability that threatened to consume her. However, she was unable to hide the depths of her own heart in silence of the night with the moon as her confidante.

Her tears fell freely tracing a path down her cheeks, as if mirroring the intricate patterns of a delicate spider's web. Each droplet possessed the weight of unsaid words, unmet desire, and the bittersweet melody of an unclaimed love. Her heart, which had been previously been protected and shielded, was now beating like a caged bird that was frantically trying to escape.

The room appeared to be holding its breath, as though in amazement at the unbridled and unfettered emotions that were released. Eleanor's body shook with the intensity of her repressed need as her shoulders shook under the weight of her anguish. It was quiet storm that was raging deep within of her and was on the verge of consuming her entirely.

Eleanor collapsed with a primal cry, her body falling to the ground in a heap of despair. She sobbed, her tears mingling with the echoes of her heartache, staining the hardwood with the raw essence of her sorrow. A cathartic outpouring that broke the illusions of control and exposed the frail beauty of her true nature, it was a tragic moment of surrender.

Eleanor gave herself permission to accept the breadth of her feelings and the unexplored region of her wants at that isolated time. She recognised the complexity of her love for the Duke, a love that defied the boundaries of society and logic. It was a love sparked by private looks, sweet words from their souls, and shared moments.

In the middle of the chaos of her emotions, Eleanor discovered a startling clarity when her tears stopped flowing. She faced an unclear future that was paved with possible grief and hardships. She was aware, however, that the voyage of her heart demanded bravery – the fortitude to confront one's deepest impulses, to negotiate the maze of cultural expectations, and to accept the vulnerability that comes with giving oneself over to love.

Eleanor took a deep breath and stood up from the floor, her pulse racing with a fresh sense of resolution. Instead of letting her feelings control her, she would utilise them as a compass to direct her in the direction of her own truth. She would have to make difficult decisions and make sacrifices along the way, but she was no longer willing to watch helplessly as her life unfolded around her.

Eleanor looking in the mirror and then wiped away the last of her tears. She had a glimpse of a woman walking to power and prepared to welcome the unanticipated turns her path would take there. And with renewed determination, she vowed to follow the untamed desires of her heart, wherever they may take her with newfound vigour.

***

The manor was bathed in a golden glow the next morning, its warmth penetrating through the windows and bringing life to every crevice. Eleanor chose a simple yet elegant gown, embracing the sense of purpose that had grown within her, allowing her to be ready to face the day with newfound vigour. She felt the weight of her emotions ease, grounded by a fresh sense of self.

A soft wind murmured through the hallways, as she descended the stairs, bringing with it the possibility of transformation. Every stride Eleanor took against the marble floor was accompanied by the resolve of a woman determined to let her heart be free.

The manor, too, seemed to awaken to Eleanor's transformation. The walls, adorned with portraits of generations past, witnessed the shifting tides of her spirit and acknowledged the resilience that now radiated from her being. The hushed whispers of the servants conveyed an unspoken understanding, as if they, too, recognised the blossoming metamorphosis that had taken hold of their beloved governess.

Eleanor's steps led her to the sprawling gardens that enveloped the manor, their beauty a tapestry of nature's artistry. She inhaled deeply, allowing the fragrant blossoms to intoxicate her senses, reminding her that life, like nature, possessed an inherent beauty that could not be denied. It was withing this tranquil sanctuary that Eleanor sought solace, a respite from the clamour of the world. 

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

Thanks soo much for reading. I thought it would be inappropriate to add this chapter, as i feel like some may feel like she has not developed a strong relationship with the Duke. However, I would like to remind readers that this is during the past where girls are innocent in terms of relationships. The first big step is marriage. Also, she has lost her parents, her home, and now finds difficulties in her new work. And sadly has no one to confide in.

The song above is a song I  was listening to while writing this, and thought I'd share a good song with the readers. I'm not sure if readers, play the songs authors put on their chapters hehe. 

Please tell me what you think so far and what do you think is to come of poor Eleanor. I feel like she is my child cause I guess I created her hehe, this book is my little baby. 

Remember to vote, comment!!