Chapter 9 - Ball II

It was time to get ready, Eleanor sat at the vanity watching as her maid created a complicated hairdo for her. She rarely wore such elaborate attire but tonight warranted an exception.

As the maid completed styling her hair, she started applying powder to her face. Eleanor stared in awe as her reflection in the mirror morphed into a woman she had never seen before. The maid had been working on the dress for quite some time, and when it was finished it was a thing of beauty: silk and lace, with a corset to constrict her waist. Tight-lacing was apparently common for ladies of today's society, well according to the maids it was. Eleanor wasn't thrilled about how snug the dress was, but she understood the importance of achieving the proper silhouette.

She felt a rush of anticipation as she slipped into the outfit. This was her opportunity to prove to the other guests that she was more than just a plain Scottish governess. She was a lady who is worthy of the Duke's attention.

The maid slipped some fine gloves on her and presented her with a fan as a finishing touch. With her heart beating, Eleanor checked herself in the mirror one last time, made a few final adjustments to her clothing, and headed downstairs to the ballroom.

The Duke of Arden's lavish ballroom was an appropriate setting for his high social standing. As soon as Eleanor walked in, she was taken aback by what she saw. The crystal chandeliers hung from the ceiling, casting a pleasant light around the space. The mood created by the candles was dazzling, with light dancing off the marble flooring and creating shadows across the ornately carved walls.

The ballroom's opulent décor set the mood for the magical evening. Deep hues of red and gold velvet covered the walls and was embroidered with ornate designs. The walls were covered in glided mirrors that reflected and amplified the room's opulence. Fragrant roses and trailing ivy made up the delicate floral arrangements that decorated every available surface.

A tremendous orchestra stood on a high dais at one end of the ballroom, ready to fill the room with entrancing music. The musicians dressed elegantly to complement the occasion, their deft fingers poised to transport the guests to another realm.

The dance floor was a hive of activity as people mingled and danced on its shiny surface. Together, the sweet music and the swish of skirts created a symphony of refined grace. Couples were seen in perfect coordination, while others spoke softly to not disrupt the music.

Eleanor felt both amazement and fear as she stood in the centre of this breath-taking display. For those who ventured to enter, the ballroom held the promise of a world of magic, where their wildest dreams could come true and their hearts could be set ablaze with love and passion. It was a scene that would remain indelible in her mind, a place where fate could be decided amid the tumult of the dance and the hushed revelations.

The music once hushed, this signed that the Duke was now arriving. Once everyone looked up, all that was seen was the Duke's mother. The Dowager Duchess of Arden who gracefully made her entrance into the ballroom. The lace and jewels on her gown glistened in the light as she walked, giving her an appearance of regal refinement. All eyes were on her, and the guests parted to make a route for her to the centre.

Lady Caroline, a woman of unmistakeable beauty and appeal, strolled beside the Dowager Duchess. Her dress, which was expertly tailored from silk and styled to emphasise her feminine charm, was a thing of beauty. Her eyes gleamed with excitement as she anticipated the admiration she was sure to receive as the Duke's preferred companion and now someone who received adoration from the Dowager.

The Duke, his enchanting features set in resolve, walked confidently up to the Dowager and Lady Caroline. He held out his hand to Lady Caroline and requested the honour of the first dance. Everyone fell silent, waiting with bated breath to see what would happen next.