Chapter 18 - Stay

The soft rays of the morning sun filtered through the curtains causing Eleanor to stir from her slumber, her eyes fluttering open to the sight of Nicholas' sleeping form beside her. A peaceful warmth enveloped her as she realised they were entwined in each other's arms, cuddled close in an intimate embrace.

Eleanor rested her eyes on Nicholas, his features relaxed in the tranquillity of dreams. Gently, she reached out to stroke his hair enjoying its softness beneath her fingers.

Unbeknownst to Eleanor, Nicholas was not asleep but simply savouring the joy of waking up beside her. His eyes remained closed, a small smile playing on his lips as he basked in the affectionate touch of her hand.

Her touch was ever so gentle, igniting a spark of longing within him. He wanted to hold her closer, to savour every moment they spent in each other's arms. So he chose to remain still, to allow Eleanor the freedom to explore without any pressure or expectation.

Eleanor continued to play with his hair, this closeness, this newfound intimacy with Nicholas, was unlike anything she had experienced before. It was a realm of emotions she had only dreamt of, and yet now it was real, tangible and utterly beautiful.

Nicholas, unable to wait any longer, finally opened his eyes. A gentle smile gracing his lips. "Good morning," he whispered. In the tranquil surroundings, his voice glided gently, leaving a soothing touch in the air.

Eleanor's cheeks flushed a rosy hue as she met his gaze, surprise danced in her eyes. "Good morning Nicholas," she replied, her soft voice filled with warmth.

He leaned in to press a soft kiss on her forehead, a tender gesture that sent a thrill of affection through her. "I hope you slept well," he murmured, his fingers tracing delicate patterns on he arm.

Moving herself closer to him she said, "I did, being with you just feels right."

"It feels right to me too" he confessed. "I am grateful for every moment we share together."

In that quiet morning, Eleanor's and Nicholas' connection deepened as they basked in each other's presence, their hearts entwined in a dance of tenderness and devotion. As they lay together, Eleanor felt a sense of peace, something she has not felt in a long time.

***

The afternoon sun cast a bittersweet glow upon Blackwood Manor as the time for Nicholas' departure drew near. Eleanor stood at the grand entrance, her heart heavy with the impending separation. Beside her, Elizabeth and Mary clung to their father, their young faces etched with sadness.

Nicholas knelt down, embracing his daughters tightly. "I shall miss you both dearly, but fear not, for I shall return soon."

Tears welled up in the children's eyes as they clung to their father, their small hands gripping his coat as if to keep him from leaving. Eleanor's heart ached for them, knowing how difficult it was for young hearts to bear the weight of absence.

She approached them, placing a gentle hand on each of their shoulders. "Your papa will be back before you know it. And in the meantime, we can spend some time here."

Elizabeth and Mary looked up at her, their eyes shimmering with unshed tears. Eleanor smiled at them, hoping to offer a glimmer of comfort.

"We can practice our baking skills," Eleanor continued with a bright voice, "and when your papa returns, we shall bake him a welcome home cake."

A spark of enthusiasm flickered in the children's eyes, and they exchanged a small smile. "Yes, Miss Eleanor," Elizabeth replied, "It'll be the most delicious cake papa will ever have."

"Nicholas stood up, his gaze meeting Eleanor's with gratitude. "Thank you Eleanor," he said, voice hushed but heartfelt. "I shall return as soon as I can, I promise you."

"Take care, Nicholas," she replied, her voice steady.

With a final embrace, Nicholas turned to Eleanor, his eyes searching hers for a fleeting moment. "Until we meet again," he said, softly, his fingers brushing her cheek. And with that, he turned and walked towards the carriage.

As the carriage pulled away, Eleanor watched until it disappeared from sight. The children clung to her, seeking comfort from their governess who had become a pillar of support.

And so, with a sense of determination, Eleanor led the children back inside, where the aroma of freshly baked goods and the sound of laughter would fill the halls of the manor once more. Together, they would eagerly await Nicholas' return, counting down the days.

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

Thanks soo much for reading!!!

Don't forget to vote, comment and follow me for any updates.