Chapter 5 - Preparations

The sound of running feet and clinking crockery was what roused Eleanor from her sleep. She hastily got ready and exited her room in order to examine the noise that was occurring. The housekeepers were busy scrubbing and polishing everything in the corridor as they hurriedly moved from one end to the other. Eleanor inquired with one of the maids about what was taking place.

"His Grace has invited guests to stay in the manor for a week, they are said to be arriving tomorrow," the maids replied, her cheeks flushed from over exertions.

"Guests?" Eleanor said aloud to herself. She had no idea the Duke had planned such an event.

Eleanor went to go find the children, she assumed their lessons would be paused during the guests' stay. She went to the girls playroom, and saw Elizabeth sat by the window with a frown on her face, wrinkles forming between her brows. Mary was sitting at a desk, reading one of the books Eleanor had assigned her.

"Elizabeth, whatever is the matter," Eleanor spoke softly, she didn't want to further anger the child.

Elizabeth vents her annoyance to Eleanor about the fact that she will not be able to greet the visitors. She glared at Miss Campbell and moaned, "It's not fair! Why do we have to hide away, Father is always strict about these things."

Eleanor then realised the source of the little one's frustration, they must have been notified about the guests. Smiling sympathetically, Eleanor said, "I'm sure his Grace has his reasons, my dear. He wants to ensure that everything is in order, I shall ask Ms Dowden about the guests. So I can learn more about what is happening."

As if she had heard her name, Ms Dowden enters the room. "Girls, give me a moment with Miss Campbell," she looks at me, "follow me Eleanor."

Smiling at the girls, Eleanor followed Ms Dowden out of the room. They both stood at the entrance of the door.

"Now, I'm sure you have heard all this kerfuffle. There are guests from London, that are staying here for a week, I hope you are as kind to them as you are me. We must treat them splendidly. This stay is an important one." Ms Dowden's face was ever so serious. "The Duke needs to marry again, so his mother, the duchess, has invited Lady Caroline. She is a young, charming girl, and we shall do whatever it takes to persuade her to adore this household and the children."

"What can I do?" Eleanor had yet fully processed what was said, but new she was needed. She chose to ignore the information about the possible future Duchess of Arden, and decided to listen to Ms Dowden carefully.

"I need you to make sure the children are well behaved, tomorrow when the guests arrive. They must stand at the entrance, smiling and happy. We need no tantrums this week." Ms Dowden, searched Eleanor's face, seeing if she understood her duties.

Eleanor quickly nodded, she was about to say something but Ms Dowden was called upon.

She went back inside, Elizabeth and Mary staring at her. Eleanor gathered the girls together, and explained what Ms Dowden said.

"I'll wear the prettiest dress ever, and Mary can have her hair in her favourite bow." Elizabeth eyes widened at the news, and started twirling and laughing aloud.

"Now, now. You both must be on your best behaviour, you are only allowed to speak to the guest when they speak to you. We cannot allow this week to go into ruin." Eleanor said, rather sternly. She then went on to explain how during this week they will not be having any lessons, as Eleanor is going to be helping Ms Dowden with anything she needs. But as the girls are only making a few appearances in front of the guests, she can set some work for them to do. This unsettled the girls, as they were to keep to themselves, something Elizabeth finds hard to do.