Chapter 6 - Guests

Knock Knock

Eleanor stirred in her bed, rubbing the sleep out of her eyes. "Come in," she says, voice hoarse from sleeping. Sitting up, she poured herself some water and quickly gulped it. She then looked towards the door, to see it was a maid.

"Good morning, Miss Campbell. Ms Dowden insists that you are to wear your best attire for the guests throughout the week. Therefore, I shall be handing you some outfits chosen by Ms Dowden." The maid smiles at Eleanor.

Before taking a dress from the maid, Eleanor expresses her gratitude towards the maid and gives a short nod. The dress felt foreign in her hands, the last time Eleanor ever felt such a dress was when her parents were financially comfortable. But she was a child then, clothes have changed dramatically and this was a dress for a woman not a girl. The dress had delicate lace detailing and a skirt that drapes ever so beautifully. This seems too expensive, to wear just to greet the guests.

"I thought I was only making an appearance at the arrival and that was it. Am I to attend more?" Eleanor questions the maid.

"Oh, the Duke notified Ms Dowden that you are to attend all events throughout the week, including the ball at the end. Ms Dowden, thought it was because these guests were similar to your age, and therefore you would be able to make a good impression for the manor," the maid explains.

Eleanor kept staring at the dress. The maid noticed this and said, "Do you need any help to dress, otherwise I must go?" Eleanor shook her head, and allowed the maid to leave.

Once she was alone, Eleanor felt a rush of nervousness and excitement. Her eyes were focused on the dress, she laid it on her bed so that she can get a better look at it. Looking away for a second, Eleanor notices a trunk sitting by the door, it must've been left by the maid. She opens it to see a note, "These are your dresses for the week. Your dress for the ball is still not ready, but shall be delivered soon ~ D". It was signed by the Duke. Well she assumed it was the Duke, due to the initial.

Eleanor breathes deeply and began to undress. She takes off her nightwear, and exchanged it for the dress that was given to her. This gift was an exquisite shade of forest green, and the fabric was so smooth and silky that it gave her the impression that she is wearing something very expensive. The dress features a high neckline that is intricately beaded and lace worked and it has a waist that sinches in before it flows down into a long skirt that almost touches the floor.

Eleanor wondered, "Why would the Duke give me something like this?"

Eleanor pauses for a second before turning her attention to admire the reflection of her entire body in the full-length mirror. Yet she does not even quite resemble herself in her new attire. She sits at her vanity, unaware on what to do with her hair but decides to put it in its usual do. Eleanor didn't know what her hair was supposed to look like, but she knew she had limited capabilities and stuck with something she knew. To bring some colour to her face, Eleanor pinched her cheeks until it gave her a rosy flush and bit her lips.

After getting ready, Eleanor was to meet the girls and be with them during the greeting. The guests were to arrive in the afternoon, so she needed to ensure that the girls were ready.

Reaching the girls nursery, she saw them getting their hair styled. Mary's hair was left untamed, her curls flowed down to her waist. Whereas, Elizabeth's hair was being tied into two braids. They looked adorable.

Eleanor walked up to Mary and asked, "now how is your hair going to be styled?"

Mary looked up and smiled, "We just leaving it as it is, but I'm going to wear my favourite bow". Eleanor saw the red bow sat on Mary's lap. She took it from her hands and helped the other maid by fastening the bow in Mary's hair.