Chapter 2

"Ellie, are you listening to me? Ellie! Eleanor!"

"What?"

"Are you listening to me or not?"

"Of course I am" I reply.

"Then tell me, what was I talking about?"

"You... You..."

"See? You weren't listening. You were too busy looking at something on your phone" my sister Sophie says.

"I was just watching a video."

"Yeah, and smiling like an idiot. Let me see."

"No!" I say, hiding my phone.

"Eleanor, let me see!" she repeats, throwing herself at me and trying to take it from my hands.

"Sophie, stop it!"

"Give me that!"

"No!"

"Ha! Got it!" she says. She may be my little sister, but she always wins when we fight. "Let's see what had you smiling like that."

"It was nothing" I insist, sitting down on the sofa.

"Declan Rice? Who is he and why were you watching his funny moments on YouTube?"

"He is no one."

"He is... Ellie! He's wearing an England shirt! Is he one of the boys you and dad met the other day?"

"No, he is not" I say, crossing my arms over my chest.

"I'm sure he is. Let's check his Instagram, shall we?"

"Sophie, give me my phone back."

"No" she replies. "Oh, you already follow him! Of course you do. And wait, you have a photo together? You liar!"

"Sophie..."

"It was an honour and a pleasure to meet HRH Princess Eleanor this morning... A pleasure, uh?" she says with a mischevious smile.

"Sophie, give me my phone back!" I say, getting up again and snatching it from her hands.

"Do you fancy him?"

"I don't."

"He's fit. He isn't what you would usually call handsome, but there is something about him that makes him attractive. Did you speak to him?"

"I did."

"And? Was it love at first sight?"

"It was nothing, Sophie. Besides, he has a girlfriend."

"Does he?" she says, sitting next to me.

"That's what Google says. Though they also say that they haven't posted about each other in months, like for birthdays and anniversaries."

"You don't fancy him, but you googled his life" Sophie laughs.

"It was just a Google search because I wanted to know a bit more about him. Nothing else."

"Yeah, sure, of course. Is he going to Canada?"

"Yes."

"Then if he has a girlfriend, she should also be going to support him. You'll find out rather sooner than later."

"I guess, yes" I sigh.

"You fancy him, Eleanor."

"Will you stop annoying me if I say yes?"

"I will, I promise."

"Then yes, I fancy Declan."

"I knew it!" she says, clapping her hands in excitement. "Do you think he likes you too?"

"I don't know. After the event from the photo he did come to talk with me, and I felt... Something. I'm pretty sure we kind of flirted too."

"Just kind of?"

"Ok, fine. We flirted. And I made him blush when I complimented his eyes."

"Ah, Eleanor! This is so exciting!"

"No, it isn't. Dad already warned me. I am not allowed to date a football player."

"But he didn't say anythign about having one as your lover, did he?"

"Sophine..." I sigh.

"Ok, ok" she chuckles. "But can you imagine a football player being the next King of England? And one with an Irish name. You have a thing for them, don't you?"

"It's just a coincidence. Anyway, don't say a word about this to anyone, ok? No one can find out. No one."

"Pinky promise" Sophie says, lifting her little finger.

"Pinky promise" I say, interlacing mine with hers. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go get ready for tonight."

"Oh, that dinner party... Is Charles going to be there?"

"He is" I say, getting up from the sofa.

"Is mum still trying to get you back together?"

"She's relaxed a bit, but I'm sure she'll try again tonight."

"I mean, he is everything they want for you. Comes from a very wealthy family, has his own title, a good education, his own business, he's stupidly handsome..."

"And that's why things didn't work out between us. He is too aware of being all those things, especially handsome, which makes him have the word cheater written on his forehead. Besides, what about what I want for myself? Isn't that important?"

"I'm sorry, sis. But when you are supposed to be the future Queen of the United Kingdom... No, it isn't important" Sophie shrugs.

"Anyway, I better go shower. Are you sure you don't want to come?"

"And spend the night talking to boring people mum thinks will make the perfect husband? Hell no."

"Roberta will be there. I'm sure she has new gossip to share."

"As tempting as that sounds... I'll pass. But if she tells you anything about her cousin and his girlfriend, if they are back together or not..."

"I'll report back. About both of them" I wink.

"Great" Sophie smiles. "And while you are gone, I'll do a deep dive on Mr. Rice, see if I can find anything juicy. Like naked photos or something like that."

"Sophie!"

"What? You must know if he's fit for his role as future King in every single aspect. You'll need heirs, you know?"

"You... Whatever. See you tomorrow."

"Let's meet for breakfast and share our intel!" she says as I leave.

"See you at breakfast, Sophie."