Chapter 3

Author's note: Yes, the Charles on this chapter is Leclerc 😅 But think of him as his version from an alternative universe where he isn't a F1 driver, just very posh 😁

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

"Look at you. You look gorgeous, darling."

"Thank you, mum."

"And you are wearing red, Charles favourite colour."

"Oh, please, don't start" I complain.

"Don't start what?"

"Trying to convince me to date him again. It isn't happening."

"Why not?"

"Have you forgotten that he cheated on me? Several times? That he was constantly partying and doing God knows what?"

"He doesn't do that anymore, his mother told me. He has reformed and wants to settle down, focus on his job and start a family."

"Good for him. But it won't be happening with me."

"What won't be happening with you?" my dad asks.

"Nothing. Should we go? We can't be late" I say, starting to walk towards the door.

"Do I want to ask?" I hear him whisper.

"It's nothing, just her stubbornness" my mum replies.

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

"Eleanor!"

"Roberta" I say, hugging her. "Look at you, this dress is amazing!"

"It is, isn't it?" she replies, doing a twirl.

"Valentino?"

"Yep. Gotta support my country's fashion. And speaking of my country... The duke is here."

"Damiano?"

"The very same."

Duke Damiano, or the guy I had a very steamy summer fling last year, one that made it to all the newspapers and gossip sites.

"Are you going to talk to him?" Roberta asks.

"I shouldn't, my parents would kill me. The only man I'm allowed to talk to tonight is Charles" I say, rolling my eyes.

"I've heard he wants to settle down and find a wife."

"Yeah, that's what my parents also said. But he can keep looking, because I'm not her."

"You aren't who?" someone with an Italian accent says behind me.

"Charles' future wife" I reply. "It's good to see you again, Damiano."

"You too, princess" he says, kissing my hand. "Why are your parents still wanting you to marry that... boy?"

"Who knows" I shrug. "I didn't know you were coming today."

"It was a last minute thing. My mother insisted that I should come because the Spanish princess is also here."

"Parents" I chuckle.

"Indeed."

"Why don't we get ourselves something to drink, uh? It will help us deal with all this" Roberta says, looking around.

I haven't had time to take a second sip of my drink, when I see him coming towards us. Charles.

We've known each other since we were kids, my family always spending the summer at his family's huge house in Monaco. And since I can remember, they've told us we are destined to be together. I guess that's one of the reasons why we started dating a few years ago, because everyone kept saying it was meant to be. That, and because like Sophie said, he's stupidly handsome. I think I have never seen a more perfect face.

"Evening, ladies. Duke" he says.

"Evening, Charles" Damiano replies. "I better go find that Spanish princess. It was a pleasure seeing you again, Eleanor" he says, kissing my hand again while giving me his most mischievous smile.

"Was that really necessary?" Charles scoffs.

"I don't know what you are talking about" I say, taking another sip of my drink. But I know pretty well that Damiano did that to piss him off. They never got along, and what happened last summer didn't help.

"Anyway, would you like to dance?"

"Nope."

"Ok... Then't let's talk."

"We are already talking."

"Woke up with the wrong foot today?" he chuckles.

"I don't know. Maybe" I shrug.

"What about you, Roberta? You look very pretty today."

"Thank you" she says, using the same bored tone I used.

"Fine, message received. You don't want to talk to me" Charles sighs. But as he is about to leave, my dad shows up.

"Charles, hello" he says, giving him a pat on the back. One that almost sends him flying across the room.

"Your majesty."

"How are you? How are the businesses going?"

"Good, good."

"That's great. Has Ellie told you about Canada?"

"Canada?" Charles asks.

"She's going there to support our boys at the World Cup."

"Oh, football. I'm not the biggest fan" he chuckles.

"France is one of the favourites" I say.

"I am not French" he replies. People have always mistakenly called him French despite being from Monaco, and it bothers him so much.

"Once you are there, do you think you could give Marcus Rashford my number?" Roberta says.

"What?" I chuckle. "Aren't you coming too?"

"I am. But they may not allow me to meet the players, and he seems so nice and lovely with everything he does to help people... And I also find him very hot."

"Fit. He's fit, right?"

"Dad, what did we say about that word?"

"Oh, yes, sorry" he laughs. "The one Eleanor finds handsome and attractive is Declan Rice, tho."

"I what?" I say, almost choking with my own words.

"You thought I didn't notice the way you were looking at him, uh?" he laughs again. "Eleanor, I'm your father."

"Who is this person with food as his surname?" Charles asks.

"No one" I say, my cheeks definitely the same colour as my dress.

"Oh, there is Alfred. Gonna go say hello. Bye" my dad says, acting as if nothing had just happened.

"Do you fancy that guy?"

"I don't fancy anyone, Charles. My dad was just being stupid. As usual."

"Yeah, sure" he says, giving me a suspicious look. "Anyway, since I'm not very welcomed here, I'm gonna see if I can find some of my actual friends. Ladies" he says with a little bow before disappearing among the crowd.

"Who is this Declan and why haven't you told me about him?" Roberta asks me.

"He's... He's one of the national team players I met the other day. One who is super handsome, and nice, and like my dad would say, fit. Very fit. And I... I have a huge crush on him."

"But is it a crush like when you fancy a famous person, or is it like a crush crush?"

"It is a crush crush. We flirted a bit, and I felt butterflies on my stomach every time he smiled at me. And we touched once, just barely, but... Dear God, Roberta. I can't remember the last time I felt something like that. Or if I've ever felt it, to be honest."

"Eleanor..."

"I know, I know. I'm fucked" I sigh. And in just a week, I'll be flying across the pond to support him and his teammates, definitely having to see him and spend time with him. What could go wrong?