Chapter 4

Author's note: The towel moment is inspired on something that actually happened years ago with the mother of Spain's current King 😂

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

"Hello, you."

"Hello, Sophie."

"How is Canada treating you?"

"So far so good. Jet lag hasn't hit yet" I say, sitting on my bed.

"You'll probably won't have jet lag. It's like your super power, it never affects you."

"I beg to differ."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah" Sophie says, rolling her eyes. "Are you excited about England's game? About watching him play?" she asks, moving her eyebrows up and down.

"I actually am, yes."

"Are you going to wear his shirt?"

"Almost."

"Almost? What does that mean?"

"When I met him before they traveled, they gave me my own England shirt with the number I used to play with. And guess who also wears that number..."

"No!"

"Yep."

"Ellie, that's a sign! You are destined!"

"Mum and dad would say it's just a coincidence."

"Mum and dad know nothing. Have they told you that they are inviting over some friends to watch the game?"

"What? They don't like football!"

"I know" she shrugs. "But since it is the first game of the World Cup..."

"Please don't let dad say anything stupid. Like that I'm watching my crush or something like that."

"I won't, I promise. I'm still shocked he noticed that you fancy Declan, tho."

"So am I" I sigh. "Anyway, they are knocking on my door, I must go."

"Somewhere interesting?"

"Just lunch with some boring people. Will call you tomorrow, ok?"

"Ok. Love you, sis."

"Love you too" I say, hanging up.

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

"Nervous about the game, ma'am?" my bodyguard David asks.

"A bit, yes" I say as I sit down, my eyes scanning the pitch, looking for him. For Declan.

"This should be an easy game, England has a better team."

"You never know" I reply, still looking for him. Where is he? "Has there been any change on the line up?"

"No, ma'am. Why?"

"I'm... Oh, nevermind" I say when I finally spot him.

"Any favourite player, your Royal Highness?" a woman asks, sitting next to me.

"Uh?"

"You seemed to be smiling at the pitch."

"No, no" I reply, feeling my cheeks getting warm. "I'm just excited about the game. And a bit nervous too."

"Same" she says. "It's the first time my country makes it to a World Cup."

"Oh, I'm so sorry, I hadn't recognised you or..."

"It's ok, ma'am" she smiles. "And how not to be distracted when there are twenty two handsome men in front of you."

"We don't have eleven handsome men on our line up, tho" I say, making her laugh, her reaction helping me relax a bit.