Chapter 20

"You are going to spend Christmas in Portsmouth with his family, then?"

"And the new year in Italy with mine" Roberta says. "I know you think we are going too fast, but it just feels... Right."

"I know I said that at first, but if I'm being honest... I've never seen you this happy and excited with any of the other guys you've dated."

"Because I've never felt what I feel for Mason" she sighs. "And I think you understand the feeling. I've never seen you smile the way you do when you are with Declan or simply texting him."

"Yeah" I say, my cheeks get a bit warm. Because she's right. These feelings I have for him... They are something new. Something I've never felt for anyone before. And they are very real.

"Are you seeing him before you leave for Scotland?"

"I am, yes. We are having dinner at his place and exchanging Christmas gifts."

"Oh... You mean it's time for the birthday dress to come out and play?" Roberta says with a mischievous smile.

"Yep."

"Perfect timing for my present, then. I know we said years ago that we didn't need to do anything for Christmas, but this is a special occasion."

"Thank you" I say, before looking inside the bag she's given me. "Oh, no. No, no, no."

"C'mon, it'll be fun!"

"Roberta... No."

"Think about it as a game. You take the photos, have fun with them, and then burn them or whatever you prefer."

"You are crazy" I chuckle, looking at the Polaroid camera.

"But you'll thank me later. You'll see" she grins.

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

"Merry early Christmas, your Royal Highness."

"Merry early Christmas, Declan Rice" I giggle.

"Ready to go pick up your present?"

"Ready. But can you give me a clue or something?" I ask as he starts the car's engine.

"Your present is something I can't give you myself because it is very special, and we need the help of someone who knows what they are doing."

"That is so... Weird" I laugh.

"You'll understand it when you see it."

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

We've parked in a small street in centre London, and even though there is no one around, we still need to wear the wig and the hat so we go as unnoticed as we can.

"Can I get another clue?" I ask while we walk.

"We are going to a shop" he says, David walking in front of us, another of my security members behind.

"And what do they sell?"

"Jewelry."

"What?"

"I'm not getting you an engagement ring, don't worry" he laughs. "Besides, I don't know if I'm allowed to do it since you are the heir and all that."

"There hasn't been a female heir in generations, I'm not sure about the rules. But maybe we can skip them."

"Which means?"

"That we can choose to not ask my father for permission, I can be the one asking you to marry me, we can use a ring that isn't part of the crown's jewels... Those things."