Chapter 6

"I still can't believe David told you that."

"He was just doing his job, protecting me" I say while I check myself in the mirror. The moment Roberta landed in Canada, she wanted to go shopping.

"Protecting you" she snorts. "I've googled Declan, and I have found nothing bad about him. The only negative thing I saw was that some people believe he may have cheated on his girlfriend last summer, but most believe they were broken up already."

"Please don't remind me of her. She was at the game again."

"But he was flirting with you. I think they aren't together anymore and she may be here as a friend or to try and win him back."

"Great" I sigh, rolling my eyes. "This skirt looks nice, doesn't it?"

"When you have your legs, everything looks nice. But let's go back to what is important here. You and Declan" Roberta says while I get changed. "They say they want to make the monarchy more modern, to be closer to the people, but then your parents would prefer it if you married a guy whose Godfather is the freaking Prince of Monaco, instead of a guy from Kingston."

"Aren't you going a bit too far by talking about marriage? I chuckle.

"It's what your parents think about when they see Charles, so" she shrugs.

"Yeah... Do you like this yellow shirt?"

"Yellow isn't your colour. It makes you look like your grandmother."

"Yikes" I laugh. "Declan said I look good in every colour, tho."

"Because he is a man completely infatuated with you, and would say that you look great even if you were wearing a potatoes sack."

"You think so?" I say, trying to hide a smile.

"I do. Anyway, are you done? I want to go try on perfumes."

"Yeah, I'm getting the skirt. I think it will look nice with the England shirt for the next game."

"Looking for Declan to compliment your legs?"

"Maybe" I smirk.

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

"I think I'm getting this one" Roberta says, making me smell one of the perfume samples she got for the millionth time. "But I also like the Dior one."

"You are gonna end up giving me a headache" I laugh.

"Sorry for wanting to smell good" she says, rolling her eyes.

"Holy shit."

"What? What happened?"

"That's her."

"Who?"

"Her. Declan's girlfriend or whatever" I say, nodding towards two women outside the Louis Vuitton shop.

"She isn't that pretty."

"Roberta!"

"It's the truth" she shrugs.

"Everything alright?" David says behind us.

"Yes, yes, don't worry."

"They've seen us."

"What?"

"Her and the woman she is with. They've seen us and are coming towards us" Roberta says.

"Hello your Royal Highness, sorry for bothering you" a woman with beautiful blue eyes says. Eyes that look very familiar.

"Hello" I smile.

"Could it be possible to take a photo with you? Is that allowed?"

"Of course! Roberta, would you mind?"

"Sure" she says, taking the woman's phone and snapping some photos.

"Thank you so much" the woman says. "My son won't believe me when I tell him I've met you."

"Well, you now have the proof needed" Roberta chuckles.

"Oh, look at us! I'm printing one of these and putting it next to the one I have of you and Declan."

"Wait. You are Declan's mum?" I ask.

"I am, yes."

"I knew those eyes looked familiar!" I say without thinking. She just giggles, but I notice Declan's whatever giving me a murderous look.

"I believe he has told you about me?"

"Yes, after the last game. He said you had framed the photo of us together, and that you will probably do the same with the one we took that day."

"I already bought the frame to put it in" she laughs. "I have you on the shelf as if you were a family member."

"I didn't know that" Declan's whatever says with a confused look.

"You haven't been in the house for a while, and I put it just before we left. Anyway, I'm not bothering you anymore, ma'am. You probably have things to do."

"It's ok, don't worry" I smile.

"Will you be at the next game?"

"I would not miss it for anything in the world."

"Then we may see each other there. Thank you very much for the photo and the little talk" Declan's mum says, doing a little bow.

"It was my pleasure, Mrs. Rice."

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

"You saw what I saw, didn't you?" Roberta says once we are back at my hotel room.

"That creepy guy checking us? I definitely did."

"Besides that. Did you see the way Declan's ex looked at you?"

"She didn't seem very pleased" I say, sitting down and taking off my shoes. "Maybe she is against the monarchy."

"Or maybe she was jealous."

"What?" I laugh.

"I think she is trying to get him back" Roberta says, sitting next to me. "She didn't know about your photo at Declan's mum's house because she hadn't been there in a while, she said it herself. Why? Because they aren't together anymore and has no reason to visit."

"She did look very confused with that, yeah. But it means nothing. Maybe she's been busy, and like Mrs. Rice said, she put it before coming to Canada."

"Nah, that's not it. My sixth sense is telling me she wants him back, and sees you as a rival. His mum already loves you and basically treats you as family."

"Don't make fun of me, Roberta" I say, hitting her with a sock.

"Eww, disgusting" she laughs. "But you know I'm right. Mrs. Rice wouldn't mind having you coming over for Sunday roast for the rest of her life."

"She looks like she makes the best Sunday roast, doesn't she?" I chuckle.

"Why don't you slide into her son's dms and ask him?"

"Now? He probably thinks I forgot about him."

"Tell him you've been busy. That I have kept you busy. But text him."

"And if David finds out and tells my parents?"

"This is your personal and private account. They promised to respect it."

"They did, yes" I sigh. "Should I text him, then? What do I tell him?"

"Met your mum today. I think she's inviting me for Sunday roast when we make it back home."

"Love that" I laugh.

"Of course you do, I came up with it" Roberta says with a big smile. "Now text him."