Chapter 8

"What the fuck were you thinking about, Eleanor? Going out alone, without telling anyone, and with him?" David says, pacing around the room.

"Roberta knew" I say, my eyes fixed on the floor.

"Roberta" he scoffs. "She's lucky nothing happened to you."

"She didn't want to help me at first, it's all my fault."

"Of course it is all your fault! Again, what were you thinking? This could have ended so bad, Eleanor. So bad!"

The moment the taxi stopped in front of my hotel, David was waiting at the door, and I barely had time to say goodbye to Declan. He just opened the door, grabbed me by the arm, and led me to my room.

"We took precautions."

"Precautions? A hat and some sunglasses? Please. This is real life, not a movie. You know better than this."

"I'm sorry" I whisper.

"Eleanor, you can't do this again" David says, sitting next to me. "You can't. This time we've been lucky and already stopped these photos from being published, but imagine that it had happened. That someone had recognized Declan. He is playing the biggest tournament of his career so far, this could ruin it for him. For the whole team. You are the future Queen of England!"

"I... I'm sorry. I just... I wanted to be alone with him. We both wanted to be alone together. David," I say, finally being brave enough to look him in the eyes. "I like him. A lot. This isn't a summer fling like with Damiano, this is serious."

"I know it is" he sighs. "You wouldn't be this reckless if you didn't like him. A lot."

"So... What now?"

"Do you want to see him again?"

"I do, yes."

"And what about him? Does he want to see you again after what happened today?"

"I don't know. I guess. Before you dragged me out of the taxi, he asked me to text him."

"Have you exchanged numbers?"

"Just Instagram dms. I didn't want you to see a new number and start lurking."

"Clever girl" David chuckles. "You can do it now if he wants to see you again. I promise your privacy will be respected, but don't do anything stupid. I had enough seeing Damiano's... You know."

"That was all him, I sent nothing or asked him to send it."

"I know, I know. But just in case. I don't think it would benefit Declan's career either."

"He isn't like that. He's... Normal. He may be a football star and all that, but when you talk with him, he is just a normal guy from Kingston with a very loud laugh and who loves playing golf for some reason. And when we are together, he also makes me feel normal. With him I'm not Princess Eleanor, heir to the throne. I'm just Eleanor" I shrug. "He's even made me like my name, you know? When he says it, it doesn't sound so regal or serious."

"Damn... You do Iike him" David laughs.

"I do" I say, feeling my cheeks get hot. "Will you help us if he wants to keep seeing me?"

"I will" he says, taking my hand on his and giving it a little squeeze. "But you have to promise me that you won't escape and do something this stupid ever again."

"I promise, David."

"Ok, then. Text him and tell him there is nothing to worry about. He has to focus on the next game."

"I will" I say, finally smiling. "Thank you."

"You're welcome" David says, kissing my head.

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

"No dungeon, then?"

"No dungeon" I chuckle.

"Thank God" Roberta sighs. "Imagine Mason having to go visit me there."

"Mason? What are you talking about?"

"Well..." she says, playing with her coffee cup. "After meeting the team the other day, he might have slid into my dms."

"He what? How?"

"He asked Declan if he could ask you for my username, but they found it on your profile because you have tagged me on a photo. You know that Mason knows about you two, right?"

"Yeah, yeah, Declan told me. But you had not said a word about this! It's been days!"

"I know, I know. But you were so busy with your escape plan and then so excited about finally having green light from David to see Declan, that I didn't want to ruin the moment" she shrugs.

"You wouldn't have ruined the moment, Roberta. But tell me more!"

"He's super nice and funny. At first it was a lot of teasing and jokes about oh, imagine best friends dating best friends and all that. But, I don't know. I feel a bit like you do. He makes me feel normal, not like I'm the heir of a textile empire and a royal descendant" she says with a shy smile.

"I can't believe this is happening to us" I laugh.

"I know! Falling for a football player while on holidays in Canada? That wasn't on my list of things to do this year."

"It wasn't on mine either" I chuckle. "Are you going to meet or something?"

"We want to, yes. And we were thinking that you and Declan could join us too, have a double date after the next game. If they win, of course."

"They will win, I'm confident."

"Then we should start thinking about what we are going to wear for that double date!" Roberta says, clapping her hands with excitement. "Shopping trip?"

"I guess" I smile. I can't say no to her when she gets this excited.

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

Like I predicted, England won their game and made it to the next round, Declan being named man of the match, which made me feel very proud of him. But it also took a big weight from my shoulders. After everything that happened with our kind of first date, I feared it would affect him on the pitch. Thankfully there was nothing of that.

"We must play it cool, ok?" Roberta says as we walk towards the changing room.

"Cool?"

"Yes, cool. We can't let people notice that we like some players better than others."

"Ok" I chuckle.

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

"Congratulations, man of the match" I say to Declan when I see him.

"Thank you, your Royal Highness" he says with a big smile. "Did you enjoy the game?"

"I did. It was the best of the tournament so far, but it won't be the last."

"Let's hope so."

"Eleanor, should we take that photo now?" Roberta asks.

"Yes, sure."

"After you, ladies" Declan says.

"You weren't playing it cool" she whispers while everyone gets ready.

"What?"

"You and Declan. You were smiling at each other like two idiots in love. If I hadn't intervened, everyone would have noticed."

"What? Nah..."

"Yes, they would have. So you're welcome, princess" she says, sticking out her tongue before looking at the camera with her best smile.