23

Manik

My heart broke as I heard her cracking voice as she tried to put herself together as she talked to her parents.

I don't know what they are saying or why to be precise, but I'm not letting anyone shout at my wife. I parked my car at the front gate and ran inside, which made my blood run cold.

Nandini was standing behind her brother, cowering away, looking like a delicate flower, while her parents were glaring at her while Mukti, Navya, and Cabir were standing at a side quietly, not knowing what to do.

"ANd you think we know you? We gave you birth, and we kept you in our house for 21 years, Nandini, and this is what you planned for the end of the day" Her mom shook her head, her eyes furious with anger and disappointment. And here I thought she was so soft.

"Yeah? What did I plan? To accept the guy you got and marry him? I did that, didn't I? And for once in my life, I was actually happy with your decision. Even though I know Abhi is the one who got Manik for me, I couldn't be happier that he is my husband, but you don't have any right to torture me," Nandini said, her voice shaky.

Is it too bad that my heart flutters when she is accepting the marriage at this worst moment? I don't care.

"He'd regret marrying you, and we know that," her dad said, venom spitting his voice. Aah, this stabbed my heart.

"Dad, he married me, not you. So don't worry about it; I'll manage," Nandini said. Aah, my wild kitten. I think I saw Mukti and Navya controlling their smiles.

"Yeah? You manage by running away with Madhyam?" Her mom spoke this time as she sat on the couch again.

Nandini's gaze met mine, and I blinked my eyes at her and saw relief reflecting on her features.

"Excuse me?" Nandini said she couldn't believe what her mom had just said. Trust me; my reaction is the same. How could they even think about their daughter like this?

"We saw the ticket in your nightstand drawer," her dad said, clenching his jaw and realisation drawn upon everyone.

Oh damn, this is going down right wrong. But I know she needs this closure, and she'll hate it if I take a stand where she has to fight her own battle.

Even though she is shivering, she is still standing up for herself and that's what makes her Nandini Malhotra.

"Claps for you mom and dad" She clapped sarcastically as she stepped beside Abhi and looked at them with fire in her eyes.

"I wish you would have even seen that I wasn't there when I got that ticket and Madhyam sneaked into your territory and blackmailed me to keep the ticket or else he'll poison your food. I also wish you saw the anti-depressants and sleeping pills in the same drawer where you saw the ticket" Everyone gasped, including me when she spoke about pills. what the actual fuck? Antidepressants? Oh god.

EVeryone turned to me and Cabir walked to me quietly while her parents lowered their eyes. I shook my head at him and walked to Nandini and stood on her other side.

"Manik when did you came?" Nandini's mom's voice was soft, something she wasn't using on her daughter from the time I heard her voice on the call.

''Sorry to pop your bubble, but he is hearing everything from the start" Mukti said, shaking her head in disbelief as she raised Cabir's mobile.

Her parents' eyes widened at that and looked away.

"Nandini, go pack your things, I'm taking you to the office. Mukti and Navya, please help her" I looked at them and they immediately nodded their heads and took Nandini to the stairs where I assumed it was her room. She glanced at me with some emotion that filled my heart with warmth.

"Go Nandini" I said softly while from inside, it was taking everything in me to keep my calm.

If this is how her parents are treating her when she got married, I don't want to imagine how they treated her when she was a teenager or when she was in love with Madhyam. My gut twisted at the thought of her in love with someone else.

"Please sit dad" I said as I sat on the seat while Abhimanyu and Cabir sat on either side of mine.

They sat quietly when mom said "Manik, it's not like what you saw." She tried to be sweet but I shook my head.

"I even heard alot mom, please don't give me any excuses" I said, fisting my hands. Only if these both aren't the ones who gave her birth, I don't know what I'd have done with them .

"Manik you don't know what she did" Dad said, like he was trying to keep himself in control.

"I heard everything I needed from both of you," I said with a sigh. Why are they even trying to be in my good books giving excuses.

"We just want her to be disciplined and good enough to be your wife" Mom said with a sigh.

"She doesn't need discipline, she wants love. Love when she had to break her attachment with the guy who she loved. She is my wife, my responsibility now and you shouldn't have treated her that way" I said seriously.

"In that way?" Dad raised his voice and I shook my head in disbelief.

"Do you want me to tell you how you were throwing accusations at my wife even after I came here?" I raised my voice.

My mom would have killed me if she heard me disrespecting someone but I don't give a fuck if they disrespected my wife and throwing accusations at her.

"Manik" Her voice sounded like a soft caress and I stood up and turned behind to see her standing at the stairs looking at me, her eyes filled with tears.

"Give me some time Nandini, go inside," I said, shaking my head. I don't want her to be on the other end of my anger.

She shook her head and stepped down the stairs and I closed my eyes, running my hand through my hair. God for once Nandini, listen to me and go to your room.

___

800 followers and I'll publish mafia's star again without taking it down