59

Manik

My breath hitched in my throat as I heard her scream, I instantly ran to the book shelf and pressed my finger on the scanner after removing a specific book. The shelves moved, displaying the door. I opened it to find Nandini sitting on the corner of the room, hugging her knees as her eyes were closed, she buried her face in her knees that broke my heart.

My feet felt like they were going to give up, but mustering some courage I rushed to her, my breath stuck in my throat as I knelt in front of her, she was shivering. Hell.

"Nandini," I muttered, grabbing her arms slowly so as not to startle her.

"Don't hurt me, leave me alone please" she said slowly, almost like she didn't even feel me.

"Nandini" I called her louder this time. She flinched and lifted her head, her eyes wide as they were filled with tears, that felt like a stab in my heart.

"What happened baby?" I muttered, cupping her cheeks in my palm, wiping off the tears of her cheeks.

"Mirror in the washroom" her chin wobbled, her voice shaky. Shit.

I pulled her into my arms, hugging her tight as she cried in my arms. She wrapped her hands around me, hiding herself. A fierce need of protecting her filled my heart and soul, to make sure no one hurts her.

I could hear the commotion behind me, that said her friends and Abhimanyu rushed into my room.

"Abhi, go check the mirror in the washroom" I muttered, kissing her head multiple times as she clutched the lapels of my coat in her fists, like she was trying hard not to cry.

"Let go jaan, don't hold it back" I said, my voice gentle and calm, so opposite to the way my heart was beating so fast and anxious. I'm sure she could feel it too, as her head is on my chest where my heart is.

"Damn" his frustrated yell wanted me to rush and see what happened but I can't leave her when she is crying.

"Manik, he is here, he will hurt me" Nandini said in between her sobs, her mind filled with those blue, purple and pink lights again and again.

"No one is hurting you, I'm here" I promised her. And I'm going to stick to it.

I could hear Abhimanyu coming to me and he showed me his mobile. It has a picture of the mirror in the washroom. My eyes widened.

"She is mine, Manik Malhotra and I'm taking her." My anger reached its peak at this point.

It  was written with what looks like lipstick, bold and big, filled with challenge and arrogance.

"Damn" I muttered, tightening my hold on her unintentionally.

"Hey, look at me Nandini" I said, cupping her cheek as she lifted her head, still sticking to me.

I bent down slightly and kissed her forehead and looked at her straight into her eyes, our noses almost touching. I could see her baring her soul to me. Letting her scars and wounds for me to see, like she doesn't have anything to hide in front of me.

And this is the very moment, in between the chaos, people surrounded around us, when she was in pain and I was angry, Knowing she is hurt and is crying, knowing someone wants to hurt her, this is the freaking moment where I know I'm head over heels for this woman who stole my heart, followed by my surname.

I love you Nandini and it's about damn time I'd do something about it and make sure you are safe.

You are precious and I'm going to do everything I can to make sure you aren't tainted and make you feel how precious you are.

"You are my wife Nandini Manik Malhotra. Fear no one. You didn't do anything wrong so don't cry over a bastard. He can't even touch your little finger and I'm going to make sure of that. Don't waste your precious tears on someone" I said, my voice gentle and firm at the same time.

And suddenly, she looked determined. I don't know if it was a good thing or bad thing.

I could feel stares on us but I ignored them.

She shut her eyes and pressed her lips together and this time she opened them, I could see that she was going to get through it. You are not alone Nandini. I'm with you at every step.

She slowly untangled herself from me and I gave her space as I stood up and helped her to stand up. I smoothened my hand over her hair, making it look decent. She gave me a soft smile as I stepped back and she walked to the washroom, like she wanted to know something, her steps light and filled with urgency.

She stood in front of the mirror, her hands curled up into fists like she was trying to control what she was feeling.

"This isn't Madhyam's handwriting" she whispered, like she was telling to herself.

"It can't be Madhyam Nandu, Manik beat the shit out of him, he can't even wake up from the hospital bed for a month, I'm sure of it" Abhimanyu said, as if reading her mind.

"That's what I'm thinking Abhi, who else can it be? I think we need to check the CCTV like who can come in here, this cabin is secured and this room has only 5 accessible fingerprints-'' Nandini said, stopping herself in the middle.

In a second, her eyes widened and realisation was drawn upon her face and then it disappeared in a second, like I doubt if it even happened or I imagined.

"What happened?" Mukti asked.

A smirk formed on Nandini's face, the one that made her look so devilish and ten times hotter than she already is. And damn me if it is not a turn on.

"Why am I getting crazy vibes? Like something is cooking in your head?" Navya asked, narrowing her eyes.

"Nothing is crazy, you guys better go and start studying me and Manik needs to go somewhere" Nandini said, dismissing them. I knew what she meant.

She knows she can't falter their studies when it's her personal issue. She can't bring everyone down with her if she is going down ever. And I admire her for that.

"Where?" Mukti asked with a frown.

"I promised to take her to the beach once she is done studying. She didn't study but it's evening and I want her to have some peaceful time after this, Piyush will look into this" I said, covering her up even if I don't know what exactly is cooking in her head.