Chapter 21

The house felt oddly quiet when Hayder walked out of his room. Hayder moved through the hall and entered the dining room, and just like the rest of the house, it was silent. Though, Shahzaib, Kubra, and Hanif Mirza were present there. All three of them were having their breakfast, and when they saw Hayder, Kubra and Shahzaib greeted him, while Hanif Mirza called him for breakfast.

Hayder went to sit with them, maid came there and pour tea for Hayder.

Hayder had only taken a sip and then due to the taste, he placed it back on the table.

"Kya hua, Hayder, tum kuch kha kyu nahi rahe?" Hanif Mirza asked when he saw Hayder's plate was empty.

(What happened, Hayder, why aren't you eating anything?)

"Baba, mujhe bhook nahi hai. Aur mujhe bade papa ne bhi bulaya tha, main chalta hoon." Hayder stood up and left.

(Baba, I am not hungry.)

All three of them shared a look.

•••

Rafey returned upstairs after having breakfast, he directly went to Kubra's room to talk to her.

"Kubra!" Standing on the doorway, he knocked on the already opened door. Kubra was setting her cupboard, a habit of her which she does when she is in tension.

"Rafey! Aao, kya hua?" She walked to her bed to pick pile of folded clothes, and called him.

(Come in, what happened?)

"Sab theek haina?" Coming in, he asked her.

(Is everything okay?)

"Kya Matlab?" Her hands stopped moving as she turned to him.

(What do you mean?)

"Uswa thori ghumsum si lag rahi hai, zyada baat nahi kar rahi thi, aur fir yaha bhi..." He sat on the sofa, and started saying.

(Uswa is looking lost, she isn't talking, and here also...)

"Uswa ka kya masla hai Uswa se pucho, mujhse kyu puch rahe ho." Kubra interrupted his sentence in the mid and told him bitterly.

(Ask Uswa what's wrong with her, why are you asking me?)

"Kaise baat kar rahi ho tum?" Rafey was shocked by her behaviour and asked. Kubra never talked rudely about anyone.

(How are you talking?)

"Rafey, main... mujhe kya maloom Uswa kyu ghunsum hai, mere apne bhi hazar masle hain..." Kubra again went to her cupboard and told him, without looking at him.

(Rafey, I... how would I know why she is upset? I have my own problems to look after.) 

"I am sorry. I thought maybe you would know." Rafey felt troubled by her behaviour.

"Tumhe itni hi fikar hai toh Uswa se jake kyu nahi puchte?"

(If you are so worried for her, why don't you go and ask her?)

"Puchna chaha tha lekin woh bohot chup chup hai which is unlike her."

(I did, but she is silent.)

"Achha woh ab chup hai? Jab hona chahiye tha tab toh nahi thi."

(Now she is silent? Why wasn't she silent when she had to.)

"What do you mean?" Confusingly, Rafey scratched his head. He was worried about Uswa, but Kubra's behaviour just add another thing to worry over.

"Hyra! Hyra kaha hai?" He suddenly asked, when realises he hadn't saw her or Hayder since he returned. Maybe he could ask her what's going on in the house.