Chapter 39

Hayder was going for a meeting when he received a call from Hyra. Since Hyra never called him herself, Hayder immediately answered the call.

"Kya hua, Hyra? Tum theek ho?"

(What happened, Hyra? Are you okay?)

"Woh, haan main theek hoon... Woh, Hyader, humare hotel ke samne jo beach hai main waha chali jau?" Hyra asked hesitantly, but there was hope in her voice as well.

(Yeah, I'm fine... Uh, Hyder, can I go to the beach in front of our hotel?)

"Beach?" Hayder was about to refuse immediately, but then he fell silent. He didn't want Hyra to go alone, but for the first time, Hyra had asked something, and Hayder also wanted Hyra to gain confidence.

"Achha theek hai, lekin khayal rakhna, aur samundar mein mat jana, kinare hi rehna." Hayder told her.

(Okay, but be careful, and don't go into the sea, stay on the shore.)

"Ji, theek hai." Hyra agreed happily.

(Yes, alright.)

Hayder still wasn't entirely convinced, so he thought that he would finish the meeting quickly and then go to Hyra.

And perhaps Hayder's fear wasn't unfounded. He had just left the office when he received a call from the driver assigned by the hotel.

What the driver told Hayder was beyond his expectations. Hyra had gone near the sea and drowned, but the rescue team saved her, and now she was being taken to the hospital. Hayder immediately rushed to the hospital.

Hyra was admitted, and Hayder was in the waiting room. He wasn't allowed to see Hyra yet, so he sat outside in silence. Waiting in the waiting room was perhaps the most dreadful day of his life. He didn't know how Hyra was, whether she was injured, if she was okay. He was compelled to wait. And waiting at that moment was the heaviest burden for Hayder.

But Hayder managed to compose himself when the doctor told him that Hyra was out of danger, and the baby was also fine. Hayder was allowed to meet her when Hyra gained her consciousness.

When Hayder entered the room, Hyra was lying on the bed with a drip attached to her hand. Her face was extremely pale. Hayder's heart ached at the sight. He couldn't imagine how much pain Hyra must have endured. It pained him even more to think that he couldn't take care of her. Hayder wanted to envelop Hyra in his arms, but seeing her fragile state, he restrained himself and pulled a chair near her bed, sitting down.

Hayder held Hyra's empty hand and brought it up to his lips, gently kissing it. "Theek ho?"

(Are you okay?)

Hyra nodded her head lightly.

"Kaise hua yeh?" As soon as Hayder asked, tears welled up in Hyra's eyes, which made Hayder concerned; he felt Hyra had been scared by all this.

(How did this happen?)

Hayder didn't want to cause her any more distress, so he didn't ask further.

•••

On the breakfast table, only the sound of utensils clinking against plates and cutlery could be heard, but between the two people having breakfast, there was a profound silence.

While sipping her tea, Kubra glanced towards Sarim, who was also reading the morning newspaper while eating. Kubra wanted to say something, but she couldn't figure out what to say. After summoning up courage for a while, Kubra finally called out to him.

"Sarim," her voice was quite low, but Sarim had heard her, and he looked at Kubra, setting aside the newspaper.

Feeling his gaze upon her, Kubra became nervous. She had called Sarim over, but what should she say?