Chapter 24

"Meri galti hai isme, mujhe wakai mein tumhare sath zabardasti nahi karni chahiye thi." Hanif Mirza gazes at Hayder, apprehension and guilt in his eyes.

(It's my fault, I shouldn't have forced you for this marriage.)

"Baba, aap kaisi baat kar rahe hain. Apko pura ikhtiyar hai meri zindagi ka faisla lene ka." Hayder holds Hanif Mirza's hand and told him.

(Baba, please don't say this. You have all the rights to take decision for me.)

"Haan lekin shadi jaise mamlat insan ki marzi se hona chahiye..."

(Yes, but one shouldn't be forced into a marriage...)

"Baba, jab meri Hyra se shadi hui thi yeh baat sach hai main gusse mein tha, lekin fir dheere dheere... mujhe adat ho gayi hai uski."

(Baba, I was angry when I got married to Hyra, but... then I got used to her.)

"Lekin tum khush nahi ho. Tum dono hi khush nahi ho."

(But you are not happy. You both are unhappy.)

"Main khush hoon." Hayder takes a deep breath and looks into his grandfather's eyes with conviction.

(I'm happy.)

"Tum wakai khush ho?" Hanif Mirza studies Hayder's face, searching for sincerity.

(Are you really happy?)

"Toh fir tum Hyra ko aise treat kyu karte ho?" Relief washes over Hanif Mirza's face, and he nods slowly. He started talking about Hayder's behaviour, which was the main reason why Dawar took Hyra with him.

(Then why do you treat Hyra like that?)

"Baba, mere yeh samajh nahi araha maine aisa kya kiya uske sath? Pehle bhi toh uske sath aise hi tha na main, ab kyu itna issue ban raha hai." Desperately, Hayder ask.

(Baba, I am unable to understand what I've done. I treated her same before, what's the issue now?)

"Pehle aur ab mein farq hai, Hayder. Pehle woh tumhari chachazaad thi bas, lekin ab biwi hai, agar tum wakai khush ho Hyra ke sath, toh tumhe uski khushi ka bhi khayal rakhna chahiye" Lovingly, Hanif Mirza tries to make him understand where he is wrong and how he could mend his ways.

(There's a difference between before and now, Hayder. Earlier, she was your cousin, but now, she is your wife. If you are truly with Hyra, you should consider about her happiness too.)

•••

Uswa takes a deep breath, her voice trembling as she begins to apologise to Hayder and explains how it isn't Hyra's fault. She had no word in this matter. Everyone decided everything their own, without listening to her.

Hayder remains silent, his expression stern. Uswa shifts uncomfortably, fearing his temper.

Just as she turns to leave, Hayder's voice cuts through the tension.

"Uswa?" Uswa stops in her tracks, turning to face Hayder

"Kya Hyra iss shadi se khush thi?" Hayder's question surprises Uswa.

(Was Hyra happy with this marriage?)

Uswa hesitates, the words catching in her throat. She struggles to find the right way to convey the truth to Hayder.

"Jab aap dono ki engagement hui thi toh woh kafi khush thi, lekin fir..." Uswa's sentence trails off, her voice barely above a whisper. She can't bring herself to complete the sentence, but Hayder understands the unspoken words.