Chapter 32

Kubra sat at the dresser, focused on her reflection, carefully applying makeup, her bangles creating tinkling noise in silent room.

The door creaked open, and Sarim emerged from the washroom. Their eyes met in the mirror, a moment pregnant with unspoken words.

A subtle tension lingered as both quickly averted their gaze, a shared awkwardness dancing in the air. Kubra's hands trembled slightly,

Sarim approached the dresser, and Kubra instinctively stepped aside.

"Brush..." Sarim points at his hairbrush and tells her.

Kubra nods her head on her stupidity. Of course, he needs to get ready, too.

Her fingers fidgeted with the ring on her finger as she hesitated. Just as she summoned the courage to speak. She wanted to apologize that she slept off early last night.

"Woh..."

(That...)

"Kubra," Simultaneously, he turned towards her, their eyes meeting in a silent exchange. The room held its breath as they stood on the verge of conversation, each waiting for the other to take the lead.

"Haan, bolo," Sarim insisted on her.

(Yes,?)

"Nahi, tum bolo..." Kubra shook her head, wanting him to speak first.

(No, you speak first...)

Before either could utter a word, a soft knock echoed through the room, interrupting them.

"Mom hongi shayad." Sarim told her and went to open the door.

(It might be mom.)

It was indeed Azma Randhawa, calling them for breakfast.

•••

Hayder and Shahzaib came to their house with breakfast. Kubra's face lits up with a warm smile, and she went to greet them.

"Baba nahi aye?" She looked behind them, then asked.

(Did Baba not come?)

"Woh ghar pe tumhara wait kar rahe hain." Hayder informed her.

(He is waiting for you at home.)

"Ajao, Kubra, nashta karlo." Azma Randhawa called her.

(Come, Kubra, have breakfast.)

Sarim stepped into the living room, his eyes involuntarily tightening at the sight Rafey. Hayder and Shahzaib are Kubra's brother, but why does Rafey have to come here?

Sarim took a moment to compose himself, concealing any unease.

"Assalam-Alaikum!" Sarim greeted them, then sat beside Kubra on the sofa.

"Chalo, sab aao nashta karlo." Azma Randhawa once again called them.

(Come on, everyone, have breakfast.)

After breakfast, Hayder suggested that it was time to take Kubra back to their home. The atmosphere shifted, and the unspoken conversation between Kubra and Sarim lingered in the air as they looked at each other.

•••

Sarim couldn't shake off the feeling that Kubra wasn't there. The room, where she spent just one night, felt empty without her.

He sat on the bed where Kubra slept last night and noticed her earrings. Picking them up, he smiled.

No matter what, the feeling of her being his wife was really beautiful.