Chapter 15 - Signal

"Stop here." Rose directed as the two trucks began to approach a roadside gas station in the mountains.

      It didn't look too worse for wear but the power was out and no cars were sitting in the parking lot. It seemed like a good place to stop and strategize before they moved forward.

       The two trucks pulled into the gas station, each one parking alongside a fuel pump.

       (Y/N) was checking the other sergeant on the team whom she got to know, Dan Cheng, when she felt the vehicle stop. She was doing some small cognitive tests on Cheng to make sure her concussion didn't affect her brain functions. Fortunately, nothing much was impacted besides her reaction time and focus.

       Drake noticed the stop as well and placed a hand on his pistol, moving toward the back doors to check things out. Other soldiers followed as well until it was just the nurses with the two injured members remaining. Before he left, Drake glanced back at (Y/N) who had turned to look up at him. "Stay put. I'll be right back."

"It's not like I have anywhere to go." She muttered, as she turned back to Cheng and finished wrapping her head in bandages. "How are you feeling?"

"Like I just got... beaten with the butt of a rifle." Cheng sighed and leaned back in her seat with her eyes closed. "I hope that bastard died."

       (Y/N) immediately thought of Jonathan, the ex-special op. At first, it sounded a bit too extreme to wish death on the man but he did attempt to steal the team's weapons and trucks. And sent fiends on them...

      And was willing to leave her and Dell for dead...

     While she didn't wish death on the man per se, she hoped he got the karma he deserved at least.

"I don't think he would have survived on his own. Not with all those fiends back there." (Y/N) spoke as she placed the leftover bandages back into a bag designated for medical supplies.

"Hopefully." Those who endangered her team didn't receive the female sergeant's sympathy. Not even the three unfortunate souls Rose decided not to abandon.

      Cheng then opened one eye as she glanced over to Wes who was lying across a few seats like a bed. He had an arm covering his head while the other rested on his chest. His injured leg was all bandaged up and propped up by a couple of bags to keep it suspended.

"Hey, Freckles." Cheng called, making (Y/N) look over at him too.

"Hm..?" He hummed, his tone sounding tired.

"How's the leg? You're still able to walk?"

      Dell, who was sitting in a seat in front of Wes, chimed in. "I wouldn't recommend him getting on his feet for at least a week. Bullet wounds don't heal quickly."

      Wes disappointedly groaned at this. He knew this as well but hearing it out loud made it that more apparent. How was he supposed to help his team if he couldn't walk for a week?

      Cheng reached over to pat his shoulder. Maybe a weak out-of-commission will do the anxious workaholic some good. "You'll be fine. Just relax."

"But I don't want to..." He sadly murmured. Dell raised an eyebrow at him.

      But just because the scientist was out of duty for now, didn't mean the female sergeant was. She carefully moved out of her seat and went over to the weapon rack to grab her shotgun. "Well, I'm heading out."

Satelliteजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें