Chapter 20 - Station

(Y/N)'s feet hit the smooth dark pavement and crunched some leaves underneath her shoes.

      She took a deep breath and glanced her eyes up to the small building that sat hidden in the trees away from Browford. It was an old-looking structure that had ivy growing alongside the foundation and boxes full of junk and old equipment stacked up along the sides next to the trash. Wires ran from the building and out to a tall metal tower a distance away that held a large antenna that was currently off. The metal was rusted and chipped from years of weathering but still stood tall above the trees.

      This was the radio station. (Y/N) sighed as she took in the familiar structure.

      A small team of soldiers approached the old building with their guns raised and Rose leading them. They got to the front door and he listened for any sounds of movement coming from inside. But nothing was heard. The place looked so old and cluttered that it could possibly be abandoned.

      He hoped that wasn't the case. If this place was abandoned, the equipment they need could be gone too.

     Rose grabbed the door handle and turned it to see that it was unlocked. He looked back to his team behind him who were ready to head inside upon his order. Every building could hold a fiend waiting to surprise them.

"We get in, make sure this place is clear, then get that radio working." He kept his voice low as he said this. The soldiers who were with him nodded. This station was their only bet.

      The two nurses watched them from the trucks where they sat on the bumper. (Y/N)'s eyes rested on the front entrance with a knowing look.

      The captain went to pull the door open but found that it was stuck. It creaked and kicked up some dust as it did but didn't open no matter how many times Rose pulled.

      (Y/N) did find the scene amusing and leaned closer to Dell to whisper to her. "The front door is jammed. They have to go around back."

"You're going to tell them that?" Dell asked as she smiled.

      (Y/N) shook her head and went back to watching. For those who weren't familiar of the station, getting inside would take a miracle. It did make her feel better seeing the building still had its known issues.

      Still, being back here... especially under these circumstances. It weighed heavy on the nurse's heart. It was bittersweet being back.

      So instead of letting the team figure out on their own, she decided to help the team get inside. Besides, there was something she needed to find anyway.

      Drake watched as she left the trucks and went over to Rose and the others who were trying to find another way inside. The male sergeant was helping Cheng guard the vehicles but he left her to go see what the nurse was up to now.

"You got to go around back. The front door is jammed." (Y/N) spoke as she approached the captain.

      Rose raised a bushy eyebrow and turned to her. "And how do you know this?"

      She crossed her arms and looked away. "I just do..."

      Drake watched her closely as he arrived at her side while Rose took her word for it and directed the team to head for the back.

      Following an overgrown brick path that led around the building revealed that the back of the building was more messier than the front. The boxes full of junk and old equipment grew more as it looked like a hoarded mess. An old red leather couch that was torn and soaked with rain water was propped up against the building next to other broken furniture like small tables and chairs. A raccoon was nibbling on a pizza crust from a trash can when it hissed at the group and ran off into the forest.