Chapter 32 - Hostage

Drake had been in the living room by himself since his not-too-pleasant debate with the nurse.

      A moment to himself to really think maybe something he needed. Her words repeated in his head that he wished would stop. But it's like those words were trying to confront him on their own.

'What if it was your family?'

'What if it was your family..?'

'What if it was your family...?'

"Shut up..." He lowly grunted to himself. His family was gone. They left him. It shouldn't matter anymore.

"I... didn't say anything."

       Drake quickly turned his head at the voice and met the green eyes of Wes who looked a little startled. "You alright, dude?"

"I'm fine." He wasn't but he was a sergeant. He had to play the part.

"You sure?" Wes came around the couch and carefully plopped down on it, making sure that it didn't aggravate his leg. "You haven't really got any rest since we days."

     Drake looked down at his best friend's leg and was glad to see it was getting better. If Jonathan wasn't dead already, Drake still had a bullet waiting for him if they ever crossed paths again.

"How's the leg?" He asked, changing the topic over to the scientist.

       Wes placed a hand over where the main wound was. While he was able to walk, if he moved too much it brought some pain. "Maybe if we still had some painkillers, I'd be perfectly fine."

"If we had much of anything." Drake sighed. "Running out of gas, ammo, food..."

"We'll be fine." Wes reassured. It was a big world after all. "You and the scouting team have brought back enough already. That's better than nothing."

"And soon it might be nothing the longer we stay in this town. But the ol' Rose is too worried about helping people." Drake grumbled.

      Wes knew what he was referring to. The original plan hasn't really fallen through exactly. Right now, he would've been with the pickup traveling to the facility with (Y/N) in tow. The survivors would've gone to a safe zone and the rest of the team would be off on their next orders.

       Nothing about the original plan has come to fruition. Not since the facility's communications went offline.

       Wes can admit that the captain was only trying to help everyone as much as he could. Being involved in such a disaster left the man in guilt as it did for Wes.

       But they had (Y/N) who could be the answer. Or not. It gave Rose a reason to keep going however and that was enough for Wes.

"The captain is doing his best with what we're facing. We did help hurt... a lot of people." The scientist sighed.

"We didn't know that damn drug was going fuck up." Drake tried to cut in but Wes shook his head. It doesn't matter if they knew or not. "Whether we did or not doesn't change the fact that we still helped push TAP out. Rose knows that so he's trying to save as many as he can."

      Wes turned to face his best friend and grimaced a little from his leg. He needed to get Drake to understand where the captain was coming or else this debating and arguing between the two was going to continue. They couldn't afford animosity right now. "You need to give him a break, man. These people need us."

"Look where helping those survivors got us." Drake pointed toward the back where he knew those guys were resting. "Some asshole special op decides that we're dangerous and sends a whole ambush of fiends on us."