13.

Chapter 13.
Time to Handle Business

I was surprised. Zane dropped me off with a simple kiss then waited for me to get inside before leaving.

There was no sexual advance.

The kiss was sweet, intimate, but not sexual.

His hand placement again was intimate, right on my lower back, but was careful not to touch my ass.

Part of me was angry. I couldn't stop my insecurities lashing out at me.

Why didn't he want me?
Is anything he says even true?
Why didn't he try?

But I was also relieved. I was happy to know it wasn't just sexual that he didn't want to go out with me, pay for my food, then expect a reward.

"Pops?" I called, looking around for him. I hadn't seen his truck so I figured he was probably out, I swear that man is a pimp or something.

The shower seemed to be calling my name so I was quick to slip of my little clothes and jump into the soothing heat.

______

"So you're saying they want me for murder?" I ask my lawyer. Days had passed since dinner and since I'd seen Zane or Mavis. I had things to do and they understood, we still kept in contact over the phone. They consistently sent me encouraging text.

He, Mr Brooks, nodded pointedly. "Look Ms. Reef, you did murder him."

"Yes Mr. Brooks, I did. But the fact of the matter is that it wasn't premeditated or for no reason. We have the evidence and you're trying to tell me that it won't be enough?"

He put his hands on the table. "We need people who will get on the stand and vouch for you. Not just your grandpa and not any new friends. Ms. Reef you need to contact the people who have seen his real impact on you. And you need to contact his parents.."

I sink back into my seat letting out a breath. "I know-...I know it's just...."

"Difficult?" He gave me a pitying frown. "I know but you have to...if you don't....You're looking at prison time. You have a court date coming up in a few months so you have time, but we also need to go over everything and know who will and won't help."

I nodded silently.
"I'll give you till next month Ms Reef. Contact whomever you need to." With that Mr. Brooks makes his way out, his dress shoes tapping against the smooth floor as he goes onto his next appointment.

I slowly get up and gather my things as I process how this meeting went, suddenly my hands itch to press all those buttons and turn all those knobs.

But I know now I need to zone in and focus, but I can't do it alone.

_____

"Thank you guys for coming!" I exclaim as I let Mavis, Quin, Crescent, and Zane into Pop's house and lead they to the living room.

"Of course, you know we're here for whatever you need." Quin gave me a smile and a pat I'm the back.

Everyone took seats as I got out some lemonade and a few snacks.

"Okay!" I exclaim once everything is set. "I have phone numbers on the dry erase board with names next to them. Make sure you cross them out once you call and keep tabs on what they say or if they even pick up." I pass out notebooks and pencils. Crescent sits down with his tablet to keep him busy.

I'm nervous. These are people who I haven't spoke to in years. People I kind of thew away like they didn't matter and now I needed their help.

I had a list for my own self made, people who I thought would be the most difficult. First up, Nala.

I remember it like it was yesterday.

"Tareea. Why can't you see I'm trying to help you?!" She grabs my arm. I quickly snatch myself from her grasp. "No you're not! He's he-....He loves me Nala," my eyes water and j smile painfully. "He cares about me. You don't know the things we've been through!"

"Are you fucking delusional?! You need to RUN do you think he hits you because he loves your ass?! Yells at you and makes you do shit he wants you to do because he LOVES YOU!?" She paused taking a breath and said the next sentence slowly. "That nigga don't give a FUCK about you-"

A gasp flew past her lips after my hand connected with her face. The sound of the slap echoed through the hallway. I quickly grabbed my stuff and left......

A shaky sigh flew past my lips as I watched everyone else already getting to work, then the phone was ringing in my ear.

*RING*

*RING*

*RING*

*RI-

"Hello?" There was a lot of background noise but I could hear her clearly. "Hellooooooo?????"

I blinked and cleared my throat. "Yes, hi, sorry-" I stumbled. "Is this, Nala Pines?"

"Mhm, who's this and make it quick?"

"It's....Tareea, Tareea Reefs."

"......Hold on-" there was a lot if shuffling and then silence. "This better not be a damn joke."

"No....no it's not."

"I'm surprised you even still have my number...How've you been?"

"I've been....Getting better. I need your help, BUT- before that I owe you a huge apology."

"You do." She stated in that way that was just Hers. I smiled from the familiarity.

"I'm sorry Nala, you and all the other's were right...I wish I would've listened then but I just thought....."

"I know." She sounded sympathetic. "I accept your apology but what do you need help with?"

"I killed him....a little while ago-"

"You KILLED HIM?! Tareea-"

"Y-yeah not on purpose it just kind of....happened."

"Okay well- we're not close enough anymore for me to help you hide a body-"

"What-" I laughed. "No I need you to testify on my behalf in court and...if you possibly have any evidence to give it to me. Photos where I had bruises or messages, anything really."

"Hmm....Bet. This your official number?"

"Yes."

"Alright text me what you just told me and I'll get to it."

We said our goodbyes and hung up. I had a huge smile on my face.

_End.

Awweeee she getting her friends back y'all 🥹

But um-

Next chapter we get a little bit of a bigger dip into her past.

But u won't be getting it for a hot minute bc I'm running out of pre-written chapters 😭👎🏽

Soooo I gotta stack up.