This is illegal!

I raced through the dark woods, following the scent of Sam and the pack warriors.

Geez, they run fast. My wolf thought.

I definitely agreed. Finally, I got closer. I drew to a soft halt, and hid in some underbrush. They were circling a hunched figure, who seemed to be crouched, ready to fight.

I tried to wiggle into a different position so I could see better, without making any noise. Then I caught a glimpse. It was a sandy blonde wolf, who hugged close to the ground.

It was short, and appeared to be a she wolf. She finally gave in and submitted. Suddenly, a pack warrior growled, and crouched to pounce.

I scrambled up, and threw myself in front of her, a growl lodged in my throat. The Warriors stopped, surprised by the interference.

They took a step back, recognizing my scent. They knew that I was the Alpha's mate, and they were smart enough not to get any closer.

You will not harm her! I shouted mentally, and it was like something burst.

you know when your ears pop, and before it felt like incredible pressure, but then after, it feels like crystal clear relief. It was like that.

All the sudden, I could feel the pack. Every member, every voice, and I knew they could feel me.

You will not harm her, I repeated.

I could feel the Alpha command radiating off the words, and I knew that they wouldn't go against my word.

Yes Luna, the Warriors replied.

I turned toward the Rogue. She looked so much smaller up close, like a fragile flower or something. I judged her carefully with my nose, looking at her worriedly.

She looked at me with shocked, dark brown eyes. Then, she fainted. I watched as her body slumped to the ground, not having much of a fall since she was still cowering in her belly.

I turned to the pack wolves.

Where's Sam?

Our group split in two, the larger team went after the other rogues.

What other rogues? I asked, confused.

The ones that were chasing her, Luna. Said one warrior, gesturing to the she wolf with his head.

I turned my attention back to the she wolf.

Why would they be chasing her?

Let's bring her back to the pack doctor, then, if she's fit, we'll put her in a prison cell.

The pack warriors nodded. I let them pass so that they could scoop up the rogue, then our group hobbled back to the pack house.
......

"What were you thinking?! Not only did you go to a reckless party, you didn't even tell me you went! What if you were date raped?

What if you were kidnapped?! I wouldn't have been there! And then you went outside alone?

God, Avery, what if the rogues decided to kill you huh? What if they caught a whiff of you before you smelled them?!

What were you even thinking going after Sam? Do you want to die? Do you want to destroy me like that?!" Derek ranted, furious.

I flinched, but then steeled myself.

"I'm fine, Derek. I'm not some porcelain doll, you know," I growled.

He glared daggers at me.

"You are an unmarked future Luna! Any mate less alpha could take you!"

"That's not my fault! I'm not going to live under a rock until you get the nerve to mark me! I'm still a person, Derek!" I yelled.

He snarled at me.

"Get the nerve? We both know it's you holding this relationship back, not me," he said coldly.

I felt a stab of pain in my heart. He was right. I was the one who wasn't ready.

"Derek, I have to tell you something," I said softly.

I need to tell him about Ethan. The anger slightly drained from Derek's face as he looked at me with concern.

"What is it?"

"A-a few years ago, I met a boy named Ethan. I was bullied a lot back then, but Ethan treated me nicely. He was the only one that did. I really.... really liked him. He even tried to mark me," at that, Derek growled.

"I didn't want to be with anyone else. Ethan was my mate, in my eyes, but one night, a group of the guys at my school were bullying me.

I can still smell the alcohol on their breath. Ethan tried to help me, but.... But they killed him," I said, a few tears escaping.

"The guys went to court and all, but they called it accidental man slaughter. (Think I spelled that wrong. Oops)

They had community service, for two years and then they were let off," the tears were coming full on now, streaming down my face.

"It's not fair! He was everything to me and they got let off with a little help picking up litter off the side of highways!

They should've been in jail for twenty years to life! But those rich snobs had enough money to get away with it," I sobbed.

Derek wrapped his arms around me.

"I'm so sorry, Ave," he murmured.

I just clutched on to him tighter. He was silent as I cried, and when I was done I started to pull away, but he stopped me and pulled me close again.

"So you're already marked?" He asked, sounding empty.

I shook my head, no.

"It didn't go through. My wolf didn't accept the mark," I confessed.

I could feel Derek relax.

"Oh," was all that he said though.

We were quiet for a moment.

"I'm sorry about the past," he finally confessed.

"But in my pack, we treat each other like family. You will never be bullied any more, and I'll always be by your side. I know this sounds bad, but I'm glad the mark didn't go through. I don't think I could bare having another wolf's mark on you," he whispered huskily.

I shivered, then laid my head on his shoulder.

"I really thought you would leave me," I admitted, wiping away some old tears.

He snorted.

"You really think I'd leave you because of your past? You're my mate, the only one I'll ever have. I will never leave you." I smiled at him.

Finally, he's starting to say the right things.