Finding Nemo

"What?" Derek asked, numbly.

"I'm pregnant, Derek," I repeated, looking away, terrified.

What if he doesn't want us? No, no way. Derek isn't that type of guy. He's loving. He always has been! Never in a million years would he reject us.

"Woah."

"Yeah," I winced.

"So, I'm a dad?"

"Yeah."

"I'm a dad," he repeated.

I nodded wordlessly.

"I'm a dad."

"Holy sh*t, Avery, I'm a dad!" He cried, clutching me close, and holding me.

I laughed softly, hugging him hard. He pulled away.

"Be Careful, don't hurt the baby!" He cried, placing a hand on my stomach.

I laughed so hard.

"Calm down, it's ok. It's the size of a peanut right now," I say, grinning.

"How long have you known?"

"I came as soon as I found out."

"God, Avery. How far a long are you?"

"The doctor said a few days, maybe three?"

"That's awesome! We're going to be parents! That's.... Crazy. You're going to be the mother of my pups," he grinned.

I smiled back shyly. He groaned and nuzzled my neck.

"It's kind of a turn on actually," he complained.

I laughed and hugged him close. He's right. It is crazy.

"Alpha!" A voice called, running outside.

Derek growled at them, annoyed. The two pack warriors bowed in apology.

"Sorry, alpha. We received a message," one said.

Derek stood, keeping me to his side.

"What kind of message?"

"One from Brandon."

I gaped, then stepped forward.

"How? What did he say?" I asked frantically.

"He contacted me through mind link," Savannah answered, coming from behind the two pack warriors.

"He said that the rogues have been torturing him, and that he is somewhere east of the pack house. There's running water, a river of sorts, somewhere close by," Savannah said.

I couldn't help but notice how rugged she looked, like she'd been beaten by her brother's absence.

"River....?" I asked thoughtfully.

Then, it was like a light bulb. I took off down the steps and around the house. Derek told me to stop but I kept going, he caught up after a second.

"Avery, where are you going?" He huffed.

"To the river!"

"Wait what? You know where the river is?"

"Yeah, don't you get it? That how they get to all the packs. That's why we're always attacked first.

It's the one, physical land mark that connects all the packs together!" I cried, running as fast as I could.

After a moment, Derek shifted in mid air, then scooped me onto his back and ran for me. I rolled my eyes, I can't believe he's babying me.

After a few minutes, I told him to slow down. That's when we approached the creek. I flashed back to when I first saw it:

The day I met Derek. I ran to this creek in woof form and rolled around in it, trying to get his scent off of me.

The second was when I almost rejected Derek. It was here the whole time, right in front of us!

"If we follow the creek east, we'll get to the rogues," I said certainly.

Derek looked focused, so I knew he was calling a pack meeting. I knew all the packs would be here soon. Since Derek is an Alpha, he can mind link anyone in the pack, but he can also mind link other alphas.

Since I haven't been initiated into the pack yet, I'm not really a pack member, but every counts it because I'm future Luna. But since Derek and I are mated, we have the mate bond.

Derek raced us back to the house, where I ran and got him clothes so he could change. Not long after, the alphas arrived.

We were going to get Brandon back. At all costs.