Falling Apart

From that day, Dekiru's popularity exploded.

Not among the public, analysts don't get that sort of popularity in the public eye. No, among the hero network, Dekiru was gaining traction. He got asked to do analyses on everyone from the Wild Wild Pussycats to All Might himself. For villains, security, missions, police cases, and everything in between.

He was making so much money, he didn't even have to go to work (he still did, cause it was nice and he liked the owner). He had finished the first year of the online college courses he was taking (he skipped from middle school to college, because he wanted to go to a physical high school) and was taking a metaphorical gap year for his new analyst job, as well as launching himself into programming and hacking classes. And all the bills were easily paid.

It was ten months before the U.A. entrance exams when it all fell apart.

On the way to the hospital, Izuku pulled out his phone, weaving around people expertly even with a duffle bag over his shoulder.

Trigger Case (DO NOT CHANGE NAMES) - 3:07 pm

Detective Tsukauchi: @Dekiru have you gotten the info yet?

Dekiru: i have, im still looking it over

Detective Tsukauchi: i think we need to meet in person

Detective Tsukauchi: ive only given you a little bit of information, but theres stuff that's dangerous to be sent online, even over HN

Dekiru: i know a place, its private and the part timer that closes the cafe wont mind if we use the cafe as a meeting place after hours

Detective Tsukauchi: where's the cafe?

Dekiru: its Mew's Muffins on Corner and 3rd st

Dekiru: meet at 9

Detective Tsukauchi: right

Detective Tsukauchi: @everyone Please meet for a meeting tonight at Mew's Muffins at 9 pm

Satisfied, Izuku pocketed his phone. With a bounce in his step, he continued onward, his feet carrying him through muscle memory. Humming a little tune that he learned from his mother, he went up to the front desk with a smile and a good mood. They had moved his mom to another room, so he had to ask where it was. He didn't want to just ask his mom, it was supposed to be a surprise visit!

"Hi, I'm here to see Midoriya Inko," he chirped, bouncing on his feet.

"Oh, you must be Izuku, the quirkless?" The secretary asked. He flinched at the reminder, but nodded, keeping the smile and good mood. He's heard enough of her remarks to be able to tune her out by now.

"She was pronounced dead a couple days ago," the secretary said blandly.

The word dead slammed him in the face like a hammer. "I- I'm sorry, what?" He asked, jaw dropped.

"She's dead, kid, now scram." The secretary looked back to her computer.

"Why- why did no one tell me?!" He could feel tears running down his face, and he knew that he was attracting stares, but he didn't really care.

She glared at him, full of disgust. "Get out, or I'll call security, brat."

Suddenly everything was too much. The blinding white walls, the beeping of machines, the smell of antibiotics. His breathing was short and quick, and it felt like a vice was wrapped around his heart. Someone shouted something, and in his panic he bolted. He didn't register anything other than running, running far away, until his lungs burned and his legs ached.