Nedzu's Tea Time

Izuku was nervous, running a brush in his hair one last time. He was wearing the best outfit he had, which was a dark leather jacket that used to be his father's before he left, a t-shirt that said "bowtie," and dark jeans. He wore his usual hightops, because he was attached and definitely not because they were his only pair, and he was desperately trying to tame his hair, even though he knew it would be no use. He had one of his messenger bags over his shoulder, the one with a fuck ton of hero pins that he hoped could pass off as respectful homage rather than fanboy. Keigo, the lucky bastard, could get away with just wearing his hero costume for the meeting.

"You good, Izuku?" He asked from the living room. "You've been in the bathroom for like twenty minutes."

Izuku groaned, abandoning the brush and double checking he had everything. The analysis for Snipe, his laptop, that's about it. Coming out of the bathroom, he frowned as he saw Keigo fluttering around the kitchen table, with plates that had black crusty things on them.

"Umm, what the fuck are those?" Izuku asked, pointing at the lumps of coal.

"I, uh-" the bird man had the audacity to look sheepish next to his hideous creations. "I tried to make breakfast?"

"That's a monstrosity is what that is," Izuku said, picking up the plates and dumping 'breakfast' into the trash despite Keigo's squawking. "We'll pick up breakfast on the way there."

"You don't know how to cook either, do you?" Keigo asked accusingly.

Izuku scoffed, adjusting the bag on his shoulders. "I do, I'm just lazy. Besides, if we don't leave now, we're going to be late."

Keigo swore, and Izuku laughed at him, closing and locking the door behind them. He pulled out the two Pop Tart packets he had in his jacket pocket, handing one of them to the hero.

"Get on my back," Keigo said, while ripping open the Pop Tart bag and shoving one into his face. Izuku beamed, jumping onto his bag as the hero stumbled over. "Kami, kid, you're heavy!"

"Fly, my pretty!" Izuku cackled, shoving a Pop Tart into his face. Keigo squawked through his mouthful of breakfast, jumping up and into the air as soon as they were outside.

10/10, easily the best Uber he's had in a while.

—————————————————

To say that Keigo was nervous was an understatement. No, he was sweating bullets as he sat in front of Nedzu, his feathers twitching as he felt the mammal take him apart with his gaze. But really, anyone would be nervous in his position: he was facing down the smartest creature alive.

"Would you like some tea?" Nedzu asked, pouring into two teacups. "Peppermint tea is very good for nerves."

"Of course, I would love some." His wings twitched as he took the cup from the mammal's paws, taking a careful sip as if it might hurt him. The hero wouldn't put it past him. It was clean. And delicious. Though that might be just the mind games. Damn mouse.

"It's not often that we get a top hero asking for a position," Nedzu talked carefully, and it felt like with every word the mammal was slowly peeling him apart like an onion. "Normally, we wouldn't be available for a new hire, but... there are circumstances that may require a second heroics teacher assistant."

"Oh?" Keigo asked conversationally, trying to keep his wings from twitching. The only reason he was able to sit down at all and maintain some composure was that the principal had brought out a stool for him. Otherwise he would be anxiously pacing, which would be very bad for the whole 'staying composed' thing.