Is It True?

"Hawks had to have extensive surgery in order to fix the valves in his heart, realign his ribs and heal his lungs. Recovery Girl and our doctors did as much as they could, but he'll have heart problems in the future, and his lungs will be weaker. I'm sorry, there's nothing we can do about it. He's lucky he's still alive."

Izuku poured through security footage, downing his coffee as he did so. He knew his eyebags rivaled Aizawa's at this point, but he needs to be working.    

The nurses have all begged him to take a break and get some sleep, but the one time he tried, he woke up in a cold sweat twenty minutes later. He'd rather be productive than tormented by nightmares.    

All the heroes were in individual rooms. He knew that Thirteen's partner was at their bedside, and Yamada was sitting with Aizawa. He was sitting as close to Keigo's bed as physically possible, reassured that he could hear the steady rhythm of the heartbeat monitor.    

He's already dug through the police reports of the incident (he logged in with Tsukauchi's account, but in his defense the detective should've changed his password by now). The Noumu was created from a corpse, stuffed with multiple quirks. The work of All For One. Who is supposed to be dead.      He's spent the entire night digging through previous incident reports, the Quirk Database, open and closed investigations. He's gone through the security footage five times now, writing down everything he can about the villains' fighting styles, strengths and weaknesses.    

He's aware that he's repressing his emotions in favor of being productive, but even though Hound Dog has told him that's a bad thing, he shoves it into a box anyways. Emotions would just blind him and make him illogical, he needed to keep a cool head. His mind was his only weapon: he would be useless without it.    

Given the paranoid state he's in and the lack of sleep, his entire system goes on high alert when there's a knock on the door. "Who is it?!"    

"It's just me and Detective Tsukauchi, my boy."    

He glared at the door. Tsukauchi was the last person he wanted to see, but he probably needed to come in and take his statement. "Fine."    

Yagi sheepishly shuffled in, with Tsukauchi coming in behind him. Yagi took a seat across from them, while Tsukauchi made his way over to Izuku.    

Before the detective could get a word out though, Izuku glared at him, gritting out, "When were you going to tell me?"    

"I- Excuse me?"    

He spun around his laptop on his lap, showing the detective the investigation into the disappearance of his mom's body. "When were you going to tell me?"    

The detective started to pale. "It's not what you-"    

"Not what I think? What, that you hid the fact that villains stole my mom's body out of the hospital's morgue? Or that you have known they've stolen her body for ten months now? Because this is what it looks like to me."

"Midoriya please, when the investigation opened you had just attempted suicide-"   

"Did I fucking stutter? Ten months! You've known my mental state has improved now for ten months! You couldn't have given me some fucking warning that my mom's body was missing and could show up as a villain in the last ten months?!"    

Izuku was shouting by now, standing up and clutching his laptop to his chest. "Get out!"    

"Midoriya, you know I have to take your statement-"    

"You have the security footage, you don't need my statement! Get out!"    

"My boy, please try to see it from his point of view-"   

Izuku spun towards Yagi, fixing him with the nastiest glare he could manage. "If you're going to take his side, you get out too!"    

The door was practically kicked down, revealing a very pissed Rumi and Auntie Kaina. "Alright, both of you get the fuck out before I make you!"    

In the first smart decision of the day, Yagi and Tsukauchi quickly left, the former with a pitying look and the latter with a small bow.    

Rumi and Auntie Kaina quickly ran into the room. Rumi, who was wearing an uncharacteristically large coat, stood by Keigo's bedside and looked him over, while Auntie Kaina ran straight for Izuku and pulled him into a hug. "It's okay, Zuku, let it out."    

He hadn't realized when he started crying, but he found himself melting into the hug, sobbing into the hero's shoulder. He felt himself being rocked back and forth, and he could feel Rumi comfortingly rubbing her hand on his back.    

Eventually, he pulled back, still sniffling but not sobbing anymore. "Thanks," was all he could muster.    

"Don't worry about it, squirt," Rumi said, ruffling his hair. "We're family."    

Auntie Kaina nodded. "We're here for both of you."    

He nodded, rubbing his eyes with his free hand. Auntie Kaina deftly pulled his laptop from his other arm, setting it down on the table. "Now, no more working."    

"But I-"    

"Keigo wouldn't want you to overwork yourself."    

He sighed, nodding as he let himself be pulled along by the two. He was now sandwiched in his seat between the two, with Rumi next to Keigo's bedside and Auntie Kaina next to the table by the window. He didn't complain when Auntie Kaina pulled him into a side hug, accepting the comfort it brought him.    

"Besides," Rumi said, as something moved under her coat. "Someone missed you."    

His eyes lit up, as a meow came from inside her coat. Sushi's head popped out of the collar, and she wiggled even more when she caught sight of him.    

Rumi gently pulled her out, handing her to Izuku carefully. He pulled the cat to his chest, nuzzling her as she purred, causing her entire chest to vibrate.    

"Okay, so I admit now that smuggling the cat in was a good idea," Auntie Kaina said next to him. "But it was still a stupid one and I don't know how you got away with it."    

Rumi shrugged, moving over to join the little cuddle pile now that she didn't have a smuggled cat in her coat. "Hey, giant coat is a classic for a reason."    

He chuckled, pressing his face to Sushi's fur as she purred.    

The situation was still pretty bleak, but surrounded by family, with an older sister who smuggled in a cat to cheer him up and an auntie who loved him, he admitted that it was a little brighter than before.