One For All

Izuku frowned, a notebook opened to two columns of twenty names, one labeled "1A" and the other "1B." He was seated at Nedzu's desk in his office, empty of the stoat because of a staff meeting. Nedzu was letting the young boy use his office to go over footage of both the recommendation exams and the entrance exams in order to decide which heroics student would be granted One For All.

He had already crossed off the names of all his friends. They already have strong quirks, and it would be unfair to give them something like One For All. He also went through the list and crossed off all students with inherently powerful quirks, like Tokoyami Fumikage and Tokage Setsuna.

Going through the footage, he then crossed off names of people who have powerful or versatile quirks if they're used smartly. Names like Uraraka Ochaco, Kouda Kouji, Tsuyu Asui, Kaminari Denki, etc.

Looking through the newly culled list, he realized that the entirety of 1B was cut. There were only three names left: Mineta Minoru, Ojirou Mashirao, and Hagakure Tooru.

A knock on the door alerted Izuku to the time. He absentmindedly groped for the button that opened the door.

Lady Nagant, now known as Tsutsumi Kaina, stood at the door, holding a tray in her hands. She has changed for the better since she's been freed. She let her hair grow out again but shaved the sides, something she apparently always wanted to do but wasn't allowed to while she was a hero. U.A. didn't really have a dress code, so she wore sturdy boots, a pair of cargo pants tucked in, and a tee shirt. When she was first discharged from prison; her, Keigo and Izuku all went on a shopping trip, and it turned out that she loved cat tees. So from then on, Izuku made it a point that whenever they met or hung out, he would give her a funny cat tee or a wine aunt tee.

They met often whenever Izuku went to see Nedzu, of course, but she's also been roped into the friend group of pro heroes that regularly battle over his custody. She's found drinking buddies in the U.A. teachers, understanding with Keigo over the suckiness of the commission, and mentees to pass advice onto in the younger heroes. Now she's Auntie Kaina, Nedzu's secretary and protector of U.A. students.

She set the tray down on the desk, with a steaming bowl of curry and a cup of tea. "Lunch from Lunch Rush."

"Thanks, Auntie Kaina," he said, sliding the tray to himself. "Is the meeting still going?"

"Yeah, and it doesn't look like it's stopping any time soon," she rolled her eyes. "A small lunch break, and then back to scheduling."

Izuku winced. "Sounds like a great time."

"All boring admin stuff that I'm going to be the only one paying attention to by the end of it." She checked her watch. "I've got to head back. But if you need anything kiddo, shoot me a text, whether it's on this secret project of yours or anything else."

"Got it, Auntie." She ruffled his hair, then left, the door automatically shutting behind her.

With one hand, he started eating his curry, while he used his other hand to switch tabs from physical exam footage to written results. He pulled up the last three names on his list, switching to the response for the second essay question: What would you do as a hero to improve society?

Mineta was immediately crossed off the list. The answers revolved around changing laws for heroine's costumes to show more skin. Gross, and definitely a student to keep an eye on.

Ojirou's answer was interesting. His essay talked about how he would change the hero ranking system from popularity and money to a more fair system based objectively on statistics such as rescue rates, civilian collateral, villain take downs and patrol hours. He argues that the ranking system unfairly props up heroes who take a ton of cushy modeling or merchandising jobs and doesn't acknowledge heroes who work hard to keep people safe. He also points out that the hero ranking system can influence a hero's paycheck, and that it's unfair for hardworking heroes closer to the bottom of the system to not get fairly paid for their work.