nico's nightmare

Sorry about no caps I didn't have auto capitalize on
EDIT I FIXED IT.

A voice.
Nico heard a voice. He recognized it, though, and that was almost scarier than if it was random. It was his mother's voice.
Vieni Niccolò. Andiamo in chiesa.

"Come Niccolo. We are going to the church."

Perché mamma? Why, mama?

Perché non è giusto pensarla così, Niccolò. Pregheremo per te, questa è una malattia. Because it is not right to think like this, Niccolo. We are going to pray for you, this is a sickness.

Non voglio, mamma I don't want to, mama.

Maria stopped and raised her chin toward the sky.

Non mi interessa, Niccolò. Questo è per il tuo bene.
I don't care, Niccolo. This is for your own good.

She grabbed his wrist and pulled him into the church. A priest saw her, and she explained that her son was feeling "gay". He gave a sad glance to Nico and led them to a secluded room. He left and locked the door. Nico looked around, scared.

Maria pulled out a scythe from behind her back. How that worked, Nico had no idea but he was getting more and more nervous.

Mi dispiace, Niccolò

I'm sorry niccolo

Che mamma

What mama

Maria had tears in her eyes. She held the scythe over her head.

Il prezzo per sentirsi gay è la morte, Niccolò. Mi dispiace.

The cost for feeling gay is death, Niccolo. I'm sorry.

She swung the scythe toward her son's neck and cut Nico's head off.

Nico gasped.

He opened his eyes and sat up with a start. He threw the blankets off and ran to the bathroom, flicking on the light and checking the mirror to make sure his head was still attached to his neck.

"Of course it is stupid," he chided himself. Still, the dream had felt real, and he hung his head. Tears spilled over and down his cheeks. He cried silently until he heard a gentle knock on the door.

"Nico? What happened, sunshine?" Will asked, his voice sweet and soft. Nico laughed quietly. He opened the door. Will stepped toward him and held his face in his hands. He wiped his tears away.

"Sunshine, are you alright?"

Nico tried to muster a smile. He nodded lightly. "I'm fine," he started to say, but his voice broke and more tears fell down his face. Will wrapped his arms around Nico and pulled him into his warm body. Nico shook with sobs and leaned into Will.

"Hey, shhh, it's ok, shh sweetheart it's alright," Will said in his thick, sweet voice. Nico admired how it sounded like pouring honey. His southern drawl made him sound even more kind and thoughtful.

"Can you tell me what happened? Please neeks?" He made keeping anything from him absolutely impossible.

"I-I had a nightmare, that's all. L-Let's g-go to bed." Nico said pushed past him through the door to their bedroom. Will grabbed his wrist and refused to let him go. Nico dropped his head and more tears fell.

"I...dreamt that my mother...dragged me to a church. because I came out to her. she...she killed me. she cut my head off, Will, I-"
Nico's voice broke. Will wrapped his arms around the smaller boy again, whispering to him and rubbing circles on his back.

"Let's go to bed, yeah?" Will gently pulled Nico with him to their bed. He pulled Nico into him, stroking his hair. Tears were still soaking Will's shirt.

"You are my sunshine
My only sunshine
You make me happy
When skies are gray
You'll never know, dear
How much I love you"

Nico squeezed Will's waist. "Please don't take my sunshine away."

618 words