Soldier!Will

Nico's a seventh grade world cultures and geography/social studies teacher and Will's an Army medic  

Based off a couple of my actual teachers

~

"Good morning!" Nico said, dropping his textbook on his desk. Several students jumped. Nico chuckled to himself. "Hello, my first class of the year." The students groaned a "morning" in response.

"Well, it's nice to meet you all. You're going to participate in your first icebreaker of the many you will participate in this year. So first I'm going to tell you about myself, and then we'll go around, and you'll tell me your pronouns, and a fun fact about you. This can be anxiety filling, so if you really aren't comfortable with this, that's fine, just please say your name, and you can write down your pronouns and your fact.

"So, hi! It's nice to meet you, I'm Dr. di Solace, though I don't care if you call me doctor or mister. My prounous are he/they, I don't really care which you use. I'm married, I have a husband named Will. Currently, my husband is overseas. He was stationed in Okinawa, Japan about five months ago. Sometimes, I might be a little upset I miss him a lot, but he is coming home in around a month. I've also struggled with tons of mental health issues, so if you are having trouble, please come and talk to me, I fully understand. Any questions for me?"

Ok then, so then we'll start with you." Nico pointed to the student who asked the question.

"Morning kids. Today's a little bit...it's a little weird. I got a letter that my husband got hurt. He was injured, hopefully not badly, but I'm extremely nervous," Nico explained.

"It's okay sir. We understand," a girl, Rosa, said.

"Yeah, we hope your husband's okay," said a child who's preferred name was Kian (Nico thought that name was totally badass, though he didn't tell them, because that would be inappropriate).

"Thanks guys."

"Any news, sir?" Rosa asked.

"Actually, yes," Nico said, opening his computer.

"Well don't keep us in suspense!" Kian said, exasperated.

"I got another letter, and it said that Will is fine. They had to amputate his left leg, but he is being fitted for a prosthetic and he'll be fine." The class sighed. Nico chuckled. "It's cute how much you guys care."

"We're just worried sir. You haven't seen your husband, then he almost died. Weren't you worried?" a kind boy, Jase, asked.

Nico sighed and laughed a little under his breath. "Jase, I was terrified."

"So, most of Europe is what is called landlocked. What does landlocked mean? Rosa?"

"Surrounded by land on all sides," Rosa answered carefully.

"Noice. Catch." Nico tossed a jolly rancher to her, which she caught happily. "So because a lot of European countries are landlocked, it's crucial that they-"

Nico turned at the sound of his door being opened. "Who's here late?" he called. Through the door stepped a tall man dressed in all green camo, with one pant leg rolled up to reveal a prosthetic leg.

Nico nearly broke down sobbing when he saw the golden curls and bright blue eyes. A grin spread on the man's face. Nico's mouth hung open and he couldn't breathe right. He took a couple wary steps toward his husband.

"Amore? Is it really you?" Will nodded, happy tears beginning to fall.

"Honey, I'm home," he said. Nico wrapped his arms around his shoulders, a shocked expression still on his face as tears made their way down his cheeks. Will hugged Nico back tight, lifting him in the air. The students clapped and whooped.

Nico pulled away, studying Will. "Are you alright? Wow, you actually lost your leg."

"Heh, yeah. Sorry about that one."

"Not much I can do about it. That's alright, it suits you, I think." Nico turned. "Well, kids, this is my husband! C'mon Will, meet the peeps. They were quite invested in you and in our story."

"Well, hello! You can call me Will, or Mr. di Solace. Probably best to call me Will though, because we wouldn't want a mix up," Will chuckled. "Do you guys want to ask me anything?"

"What's your title? And what branch are you in?"

"So I was an Army medic, so I don't really have a title. But I helped a lot of soldiers who were hurt."

"How'd you lose your leg?"

"This sounds fake, but, I got blown up. If you you guys heard about the bomb that was unstable, and ended up getting set off...that blew me up. But I'm ok now!"

After the kids left, Nico shut the door, and put a sign that said "please wait for the teacher to let you in!"

Nico wrapped his arms around Will, who was sitting on his desk. He cried into his shoulder. "Gods, I was so scared Will. I really thought-"

"Shhh. I'm here now. I'm ok. It's just my leg. I'm alright now. I'm so sorry that you were so nervous, I never wanted to cause you harm." Will stroked Nico's hair and kissed his neck chastely. Nico pulled from the hug to kiss Will's lips.

"You owe me cuddles. Later though, I gotta teach now. Want to stick around, or..."

"I think...I think I'll just go home." The word felt good on his lips. "Gods, I can't wait to be home." Nico smiled.

"Well, I'll see you. I'm so happy you're back. I'm so happy you're even alive. And I'm proud of you. Not many would join up, but you did. I'm so proud." Will returned the grin. The two hugged again, and parted.

Nico and Will faced one another, held in each other's arms, studying their faces. Every so often, Will would dip down and press a kiss to Nico's jaw, neck, or collarbone. They were just so happy to be back together. Nico pulled Will in tighter, snuggling close. He breathed in Will's scent and fell asleep.

For the first time in six months, he slept with no nightmares.

For the first time in six months, he woke up with kisses peppered all over his face.

For the first time in six months, they had breakfast together, Will with his arms wrapped around Nico's waist.

And for the first time in six months, Nico was filled with peace.