20. Last moments [End of Part I]

Taehyung's POV

I glance at Jungkook as he sits there a little away from me with his full concentration on his sketchbook. He hasn't even tilted his head once or looked at me after we sat down to draw the portrait of the grazing herd of deer, far away. We are again at an open field and after having a late lunch here, Mr Park instructed us to sit down and sketch the sight in front of us.

It's not just that Jungkook is so concentrated on his work that he isn't looking at me. Things kind of turned awkward between us after I picked him up from the canoe earlier. I couldn't help it, I happened to stare into his eyes for a few seconds and he is now confused.

He hasn't talked to me after what happened earlier. He was completely silent during the five-minute walk from the river bank up to here. I too felt nervous that I didn't talk. Then we sat together with the others to have lunch. So, we couldn't talk then. After that, we were told to sit and draw, and so, here we are, silently sitting beside each other, sketching the deer having their lunch.

"Hey..." I say, deciding to finally break the silence. But he pretends like he didn't hear me and keeps sketching.

"Hey, Jungkookie, show me your deer. I don't know how their eyes actually look like. I can't see it from here," I say and take a peek at his sketchbook.

"Just draw it like your eyes," he mumbles.

"I still don't know how to do that. Please help me," I say in a pleading tone.

"I'll help you after I finish mine," he mumbles, still not taking his eyes from his drawing. I whisper an 'okay' and sit there, staring at a deer, far away. I didn't want to stare at Jungkook again and make things more awkward between us.

We've got just a few more hours before the camp ends. We need to separate like two friends who are never going to meet or see each other again. We just need a few nice memories of each other. We just need to smile whenever we think about each other.

"Give me your book."

"Oh?" I tilt my face to look at him. "Are you finished with yours?"

"Yeah," he nods and grabs my drawing book which I bought specially for this camp. It was empty except for this one picture. Jungkook lays it on his lap and takes a good look at my drawing, then takes out his eraser and starts gently rubbing here and there on the page. His own sketchbook lies on the grass beside me. I take it and start looking through his drawings while he modifies or rather redraws my sketch.

His art book was full of many kinds of sketches. Every drawing was exceptionally beautiful and unique. But I found a specific woman's portrait repeating more than once and I already figured out it was his mother. She was beautiful and her eyes looked just like his.

I wanted to know what actually happened to his mother, yet I don't ask him anything. Thinking about his mother's death and talking about it now would only hurt him deeply and I don't want to make him feel sad or uncomfortable at these last moments.

"Finished," he says after ten minutes, while I'm going through his drawings the second time.

"Oh! Thank you so much, Jungkookie!" I smile.

He immediately looks away and mumbles, "You're welcome."

It's all my fault! I made the whole thing awkward. Now he doesn't even want to look at my face. How do I change it back to normal before we go back to the bus?

I grab my sketchbook from his hand and I'm honestly surprised to see a really beautiful sketch which had no resemblance with how it was looking just ten minutes ago. Just all the deer were in the same places I drew them earlier. Other than that, he had completely altered the drawing.