25. Jeon Mansion

Taehyung's POV

For the first time, I didn't feel any happiness standing next to our coach in the middle of the team with a huge trophy clasped in my hands, posing for the camera. I didn't really play well or contribute much to the game but still, we won because we got some excellent players on the team.

Throughout the game, I was distracted. I kept looking for Jungkookie among the crowd during the whole first quarter, even our coach noticed and scolded me heavily during the break at the end of the first quarter. Just as the second quarter began, I saw the girl, Sana coming hurrying down the blazers and taking a seat at the front. But Jungkook wasn't with her. Still, for a little while, I desperately continued searching the crowd, hoping to see big cute doe eyes somewhere. But my bunny never came.

Jimin goes to talk to the girl once our photo section is over. For a moment, I think about going to them and asking Sana what happened to Jungkook. But then I decide not to. I don't want to give her and my best friend any suspicions.

Maybe Jungkook just decided, he didn't want to see me again. Our meeting yesterday was so awkward and he was clearly uncomfortable. I don't know why I still expected him to come to see our match.

Jimin soon disappears with the girl somewhere. Maybe he asked her out on a dinner date, I don't bother to call or text him. Telling one of my teammates, Soobin, I'm leaving because of a headache, I walk to the parking and slip into the driver's seat of my car. Then I drive straight to my home and go straight to my bed, feeling totally exhausted and frustrated.

Morning, as I wake up, I feel a strong urge to go to the bookshop again. I just want to see Jungkookie once to make sure he is alright. I have a feeling that something is wrong with him and I need to check on him. But then another voice in my head tells me I'm just going crazy over him and I'm losing control over myself. So, I somehow resist the urge to grab my key and drive towards Wit and Wisdom.

I keep waiting for the first chapter of Cookies' manga for the whole week. At last, Friday comes. I excitedly opened his profile to search for the book, only to see an announcement saying the release of the manga is postponed to next month due to some unexpected circumstance.

What unexpected circumstance?!

I needed to know it right away. I couldn't wait any longer.

I find myself hurriedly changing my clothes and rushing downstairs, yelling to my mom I'm going out. Grabbing my car key from the living room table, I race to the porch and hop into my car, driving away in the direction of Jungkook's bookshop.

I pull open the glass door of the shop, preparing myself to once again meet with beautiful doe eyes which makes my heart thud faster each time. But instead, I meet with a pair of tired dull grey eyes.

Did his shift change to the afternoon?

The old man with grey eyes frowns at me as I stare at him, confused. "How can I help you?" He finally asks.

"Cookies..." I say. "I mean Jeon Jungkook. I came to see him. Is he here?"

"That boy doesn't work here anymore," he shakes his head.

"Kim Taehyung? Why are you looking for Jungkook?"

I turn around to see Sana standing near the magazine racks.

"I- I just..." I shift my weight on my legs not knowing what to say. "He quit?"

"He left immediately after receiving his first week's salary," The old man says and lets out a sigh.

"He didn't leave purposefully, Mr Park," Sana says looking at him. "He quit because he broke his hand. How is he supposed to sit there and work the cash register with his right hand on a sling?"