Epilogue - Never gonna be bored

1 month later

Taehyung's POV

"Before announcing the names of the four who got selected into the team this year, I want to say a huge thanks to all nine of you who participated in the tryouts," Our Coach Mr Jung says with a big smile on his face. "Your dedication, hard work, and passion for the game have been truly inspiring. I honestly wish to take all of you in the team but since there is a limit for the number of players, we can only select the best four. That doesn't mean your effort and determination have gone unnoticed. Remember that this is just one moment in your basketball journey, and there will be many more opportunities ahead. Keep working hard, stay focused, and continue to improve your skills. Your time will come."

I feel anxious as I see Jungkookie nod to the coach whilst biting his lips, standing in the middle of the row of nine boys who came for tryouts. He looks really nervous. I know he will cry if he doesn't get selected. The whole last month, he practised really hard. We dedicated 2 hours every day after class and 5 hours every Saturday and Sunday for this. It was his birthday last Friday and he didn't even let me take him out to dinner and movies like I had planned. He said he just wants to play with me and that's the biggest gift I can give him.

He did well in the tryouts but all the other guys were equally good. One of them, Cha Eunwoo is an 11th grader who transferred here this year and was on the basketball team in his previous high school. He'd definitely get selected. Three other guys are freshers who were on the basketball team in their middle school. The other four except Jungkookie are 10th and 11th graders who also used to play basketball in middle school but didn't get selection the last two years. But some of them improved a lot. The coach was looking really confused earlier about who to select. I just hope my bunny gets selected. I can't see him cry.

"So, let me now announce the names of the new players who'll be joining our team along with their assigned position," Coach finally says and pauses while everyone stares at him anxiously.

"Lai Kuanlin, 9th grade as the center." He announces and my teammates all clap and cheer for the young tall Taiwanese kid, who often accompanied me and Jungkookie on evenings to practice for tryouts.

"Kim Mingyu from 10th grade as small forward." Coach next announces. I feel so anxious that my heart starts thudding hard. Then Jungkookie tilts his face and looks at me with sad eyes, making me bite my lips. I don't know how to console him if he doesn't make it.

"The next two are from 11th grade," Coach says and Kookie tilts his face back to him. "Cha Eunwoo and Jeon Jungkook as shooting guard and point guard."

I would have jumped and squealed if Jimin hadn't grabbed my wrist tightly the moment Coach announced Jungkookie's name. But I can't stop my lips from spreading into a big smile as I stare at my bunny who looks taken aback, his eyes the size of soccers. He turns his face to me in surprise. "You got it!" I mouth at him, grinning wide and at last, his lips slowly bunch into a cute smile. He just wanted to be on the team, we both didn't think he'd be selected as point guard which is also my position. I can't explain how happy I feel!

"Congratulations to the four of you who have made it," Coach says and then dismisses the rest of the six guys after once again giving a long motivational speech about the determination and hard work that he gives every year to those who have to leave the court disappointed. Then he finally turns to our new four teammates.

"With opportunity comes responsibility. You have made it to the team and now you have the responsibility to stay disciplined and consistent with your sleep, nutrition, and training. From tomorrow onwards, we are starting our regular practice at sharp 6 Am. I have zero tolerance for latecomers. Be at the basketball court on time. Otherwise, there will be strict punishment."