01

K A T

The next day I came to school, unsure of how things were going to turn out. There was Noah, who was his normal conceited self today, but then there was Harry. And something about him intrigued me. I just didn't want Noah to know that.

"Hey." he said again, same time, in first period English. This time I smiled back and gave him some paper when I noticed he was low.

Today he was wearing converse, which definitely made him look different than he did yesterday. He was also wearing a Ramones tee and black skinny jeans, just as yesterday. This time he had on an American flag headscarf. He looked nice.

"Is there a reason why you're staring at me so much today?" he asked with a half grin, causing me to snap out of my trance. It wasn't that I thought Harry was hot, because he certainly wasnt, but that isn't saying that he wasn't hard on the eyes either.

"No." I answered. "Just staring into space."

Harry snickered. I could tell he wasn't given in to my poor excuse. "Your eyes don't move when you're staring into space."

I opened my mouth to speak, but the bell rang and cut me off.

"Same time tomorrow?" he asked, amused. I shook my head quickly.

"Gym today. Your last name starts with an S, right?"

He nodded.

I felt something go off in my chest. "Well, M through Z go to gym. The rest have health."

"Well, I guess it's just you and me, then." Harry seemed okay with that idea, but I wasn't sure where I stood. I just smiled back and grabbed my things before walking out the door at a remarkable pace.

I was stopped by Noel in the hallway.

"Why were you talking to fresh meat?" he asked, trying to intimidate me. I had no idea what he meant.

"Who's that?" I asked, my hands sitting on my hips. I squinted him in the eye, unsure of what little game he had going for me this time.

"The new kid. Harry."

My eyebrows furrowed. Of course Noel had to pick on Harry. It only made sense. "Don't call him that." I said curtly, before turning on my heel.

I thought I was free from him, but he grabbed a hold of my wrist and pulled me back. I was caught eye to eye with him, and this time I was scared.

"Noel, stop." I whined. "You're hurting me."

He just continued to smile and gripped harder, almost making my knees buckle. "Come on miss Katrina, who is oh-so undeniably in love with my best friend, Noah."

He knew.

Just then, the English door flew open and I found an angry Harry standing behind Noel. I didn't know how someone so soft like him would react in this kind of situation, and something told me I didn't want to know.

"Let go, Noel." Harry said, his British accent laced in his words. Harry was evidently angry, and I knew that he wouldn't just stand there for longer.

"Do it." I egged on. "Let go before he hurts you, Noel."

He raised his eyebrow at me expectantly. "Is this who Noah is your beard for? This lesbian?"

"Shut up!" I yelled, and used my free hand to slap him across the face. People around me gasped and before I knew it, I was the center of attention again.

Noel finally let go, but it didn't look like I had won. He walked down the hall and out of sight, leaving me and Harry to stare at.

I thought we would be shamed and embarrassed for the rest of senior year, but instead there was clapping and cheering. Harry looked just as surprised as I was.

"Hooray for the New Kid stopping the bully Noel!" a girl named Ally yelled, before adjusting her classes and walking away.

I looked at Harry, confused, but he just offered a warm grin.

*

"Why'd you stand up for me?" he asked as we walked to lunch together. "You didn't have to. I wasn't even around."

I shrugged. It was clear Harry didn't have much self-esteem. "You're pretty cool Harry." I said. "And, hate to admit it, pretty cute."

He smiled at that remark. "Thanks." he beamed. His smile went from ear to ear, and dimples popped out on both sides of his cheeks.

"Just don't let Noel but you, alright?" I said. "He knows a lot of things about people but never tells. He uses it as power."

Harry nodded. "That's why I had to leave my old school." he explained. "Someone threatened me so I got scared and left."

My head spun in circles. Was what he did really that bad?

"I know what you're thinking." he said. "That maybe I committed murder or something." He could basically read my mind. But then he smiled and laughed, "Trust me, what I did wasn't that bad. I'm just not proud of it."

"Hey, I know exactly what you mean." I nudged him in the shoulder with a light chuckle. "We all have secrets we would prefer not to tell someone we just met. I get it."

Harry stared into my eyes and gave me that dimpled smile again. "I'm glad you do, Katrina."

I felt a lump in my throat from his burning gaze on me, so I stepped into the cafeteria and got in line for food. Harry stood right behind me.

We both got pepperoni pizza.