45

K A T

Kimberly was the gateway to easing my nerves for what to come, because we spent most of that day with Harry at the mall.

In as little as four hours, I got my hair professionally curled and my nails done. Harry said I looked beautiful, which was expected but still appreciated. Even wearing my glasses I felt good about myself.

After that we headed home and started to get ready. There were butterflies in the pit of my stomach; not because I was excited but because I feared tonight would be my last night on earth.

I slipped into my dress and tried to do up the zipper, but it wouldn't even budge past halfway this time. Last time it made it almost all the way up.

Harry couldn't blame the dress shrinking for this.

I sucked in a breath and tried even harder to get the zipper up but it wasn't going any further. I couldn't make it.

Tears started to flow from my eyes as I grabbed a safety pin from my dresser drawer. I used it to hold the sides of the zipper together, its temporary binding doing a little something for me.

I slipped on my matching blue high heels and white gloves, and pinned a decorative flower in my hair. I looked okay, but now seeing that I was wearing corrective lenses and my weight had risen dramatically within a few days I didn't feel so great.

"Ready?" I could hear Harry call from downstairs, and what sounding like the shuffling of feet could also be heard. Zayn mustve been gotten there soon too.

I couldn't even find the confidence within myself to yell any more, so I just hurried and grabbed my things. Soon after I was rushing down the stairs and awkward waved to Kimberly, Zayn, Harry, and my parents.

"Kat..." Kimberly said slowly. "What's that in the back of your dress?"

My heart was beating against my ribcage. If anyone were to point that out it would be Kimberly.

Harry frowned and walked behind me, poking at the safety pin. "Kat..." he said behind me, and pulled out the pin before attempting to pull the zipper up. Not even he could make it move.

He didn't have a word to say this time, but instead fit it back in place and stared at me with a look of sympathy.

I was trying not to cry.

"Are you two excited?" mom asked, holding her Polaroid camera up to take a picture when we all fake smiled and said 'yes' in unison.

"And who's this?" Dad asked, glancing over at Zayn.

He sheepishly grinned at my parents. "Zayn." he said plainly. "Harry's friend."

"Nice to meet you." Mom said, but her expression said the exact opposite. "You all better get going then."

"See you later mom and dad." I said and hugged them extra tight, because I didn't know if it would be the last time that I would ever see them again.

Dad just waved innocently, as he had no idea as to what was going on and what was going to happen. Typical dad-- typical parents. "And by the way, Kat-- loosen up!" he laughed playfully but it only made me feel more self conscious. Had I been acting tense? Was it to the point where I looked awkward?

"You okay?" Harry whispered so that only I could hear. I felt bad for having to lie to him but I knew that I was protecting him. Maybe if he didn't know any further then the notes would stop. I hoped so.

"Yeah." I lied hesitantly, smiling and giving him a small hug. In my opinion, I didn't sound too believable.

Zayn eyed the two of us and from behind me, undid the safety pin. My breath hitched in my throat but as I looked around the room I saw that no one noticed-- not even Harry who was always aware of his surroundings.

"What are you doing?" I harshly whispered.

Zayn just mumbled "shhh". 

I waited patiently and awkwardly as Harry talked to my parents and Zayn did something to the back of my dress.

He must've known what was up.

"There." he said in a normal tone of voice and walked from behind me and to my side. "You're all zipped up."

I let out a sigh of relief when I felt behind my dress and the zipper had made it all the way up. How it got there? No idea.

"Thank you so much." I grinned from ear to ear and gave a giant hug as a thank you.

Harry eyed the embrace suspiciously, but he soon realized that it was nothing more than an act of pure gratitude.

"Okay, let's go now." I said excitedly. Apparently I had forgotten of what was planned for tonight.

I was going to remember soon enough.

Harry, Zayn and I fitted into a limo that had been rented and we quickly got to school. From behind me, Harry slipped a gun into my hand and the mere feeling of his hand sliding against mine gave me goosebumps.

"You ready?" he asked me even though I was sure he already knew the answer to that. And that was no.

"Yes." I lied, and Zayn just chuckled.

We started up the stairs to the school, but Harry stopped us quickly. "Hold on." he said smoothly, and pulled two cloth objects out of his pocket.

The matching bandanas.

"Harry." I cooed, leaning in and kissing him full on the lips. Words could not describe how overwhelmed I felt in the moment. "You remembered."

"I managed to snatch yours last night while you were sleeping." he said with a smirk, already working his hands to get it tied around my head. He preceded to whisper in my ear, "You look beautiful tonight."

Shivers raised and goosebumps formed on my arms. "Thank you Harry. You look handsome, too." I whispered back. He smiled in response and finished tying the bandana.

He much more quickly put his matching one around his head. It gave that look I had seen on the first day of school, the one that made me swoon over him and wonder what there was to him that I couldn't see.

And I had already found out.

Never on the first day would I have seen this coming.

We all took a large sigh, most likely out of anxiety for what was to come, and took a step inside the school where we were met with loud music and dancing bodies.

*

i just want to say a huge THANK YOU for 1k reads omg! if it was you guys sharing, thank you! if it was just that people got interested with it, thank you! just thank thank thank thank you

and sorry the updates have slowed down! school has started and the field hockey season starts Friday so literally every school day I get 1 hour at home lol. then when I get back I have to go to bed for the same routine.

anyway I'll try to speed up as a way to show my gratitude towards you guys! comment your thoughts and vote if you really like this story :)
-amira