13

K A T

When I woke up, Harry was by my side-- holding soup. It didn't take long to realize I was in the comfort of my own home.. but why?

"What happened...?" I asked him, in a daze. He just looked at me anxiously and moved some of the hair from my eye.

I could tell something was wrong. "Hanna put something in your frappe." he told. "And..."

"And what?" I sat upright immediately, but Harry just forced me back down. There was something he wasn't telling me. "What else, Harry?"

He hesitated. "And.... um, Caitlyn paid her to do it. She put her up to it and was trying to kill you."

"What?!" everything he had said so far was shocking, but this? Words couldn't describe how much of a blow this was to the gut. At the sheer thought of my best friend for years going out to betray me so quickly, tears started to brim my eyesight.

"Now, don't cry Kat." he sighed and held me in a warm embrace. Even his amazing hugs didn't make me feel any better. "This no good town was evil from the day it was erected, okay? You can't trust anyone here."

I kept shaking my head in denial, blocking out everything that he had said. All those years of telling and sharing secrets, saving each other from creeps on the street, giving advice. And she had just thrown all that away for what? Gang loyalty?

I felt like I was slowly slipping away from reality. This wasn't real. It couldn't be. I didn't want it to be. And I wouldn't let it.

"Kat, you have to listen to me." he beckoned, his kind and soft tone putting me at a hint of ease. "She's evil. You two have bad blood now."

I couldn't wrap that thought around my mind.

I just couldn't process the betrayal that had happened behind my back. I was so unsuspecting. I could've died.

By now, I was full out crying.

"Come here." he said softly and pulled me in for another hug. I could almost swear, every time he wrapped his arms around me I felt like time had stopped. Like none of this was happening. I was home safe with my new friend. He sure felt like more.

"You know I can keep you safe." he mumbled in my ear. His lips brushed against them softly in our embrace. "I promise. I got you in this and I'll get you out."

"I have family." I whispered. "I'm putting them in danger too, aren't I?"

"They don't know, so they aren't in danger." he said. "That's how it needs to stay. For a while. Until this dies down."

"How does a gang simply die down, Harry?" I asked softly into the dim room. The only affirmation I needed was a tighter squeeze from him.

"I'll fix this." was the last thing he said, before he pulled away and looked into my eyes.

And then he kissed me.

I didn't know what to say or do. Everything was so confusing and I didn't know how to respond.

But he answered that enigma for me. "You're my best friend." he mumbled carelessly, each syllable dissipating into the air and becoming a figment of the sweet, sweet past.

I knew what it was.

He was in love.

_____________

short chapter haha. i can't believe harry fell in love after one week, i wonder why????

oh and did you catch my Taylor reference lol no okay I'm lame
-amira