28

K A T

It took about five minutes for Harry to drive to school.

The whole ride, however, my brain was working up a storm and my nerves were racked.

I didn't think that Harry had lied to me. He had clearly stated that the person he texted wasn't for me to worry about. And he was obviously right.

I shouldn't have been as put off as I was, but I just couldn't help but feel like something was going on. That Zayn's input on our plan was going to change everything completely.

When we got there, Harry opened the door for me and the first thing I saw when I stepped out were staring people. They seemed curious and envious all the same.

"Welcome to Eastern high school, also known as hell." Harry gave me the casual smirk and shut the car door for me. "Where the teachers are pricks, the students are jerks, and the classes don't teach you anything."

I giggled, finding everything he had said to be true. "How lucky am I that I get to start my day in the same class as you?"

Harry's cheeks turned a deep red. "Very." he grinned, lacing his hand with mine and leading me up the main steps. "Except for the fact that it's English. A very bad way to start your day."

"True." I said casually, and as we walked down the halls we got the occasional wave as if we were an "it" couple now.

We stood outside my locker and we just waited for the bell to ring, the usual morning routine. There was nothing better to do in the boring, stagnant mornings, so this was how most of us spent our time. Waiting.

"Um, Harry?" I asked, not sure if I was wanting to bring this up or not to him. "Were you texting Zayn?"

He looked at me, confused for a moment. But then he realized that I must've seen and acting like he hadn't was a silly move. "Yeah." he numbly admitted. "I was going to tell you, before the school day was over." he said, looking deeply into my eyes as if he were scanning for any signs of mistrust in them. "Because we're meeting him after school at that nice coffee shop you like downtown."

I raised an eyebrow. "How'd you know that it was my favorite?" I asked slowly, "Barnsby and Jones?"

He nodded proudly. "I have my ways. Never underestimate me."

I managed to muster a smile. "Thank you Harry. But are you sure about Zayn...?" I eyed him but he seemed unbothered.

"Zayn is alright." he faintly grinned. "Back in the first few months of me being in that dreadful gang, Zayn was helping me start a revolt. He was cool. And I think you guys would make great friends." he put emphasis on the last word which I thought was really defensive and cute.

"Okay." I said simply, trying to fight the urge to grin from ear to ear with fondness. Kissing Harry was the best decision I had ever made, and I was glad when he stopped me from saying what I had wanted to say.

Because looking back, I wouldn't dream of saying that to him.

*

After school, Harry drove me downtown to the best coffee shop in Philly. It was called Barnsby and Jones, and they had the best vanilla lattes out there-- no joke.

"Do you actually want something?" Harry asked, taking off his glasses and tucking them in his shirt. He pulled his wallet from out of his pocket. "What's your regular here?"

I beamed at him. "Vanilla lattes with a caramel shot."

Harry seemed rather baffled at my choice. "Sounds nasty." he said, his British accent sanding out. "I'd love to try some."

I laughed. "How about you order, then? Living in Pennsylvania, you have to know how to order a coffee. It's like custom here."

Harry looked at me bashfully, like he wasn't so sure on taking me up on that. "Alright-- what do I say, Kat?"

"Say, I want a vanilla latte with a shot of caramel creamer."

He thought for a minute, obviously processing what I said. Before I could even repeat myself to make it clear, he stepped up to the till and the barista walked over immediately.

I recognized him as Brad, the one that was usually on his shift when I visited here. It was always nice and quiet, but today it was busy and nearly every table was filled. Perfect for a confidential meeting; it's hard to listen to a conversation that isn't yours over the noise.

"Hey Brad." I said cooly. He just nodded his head, as the average boy did as saying hello, and diverted his attention to Harry again.

"What can I get you today?" he asked calmly, gesturing to the bakery stand that was conveniently next to Harry. "Would you like any of our baked goods, or a premium cup?"

"No thank you." Harry said politely. "Can I get a vanilla latte with a shot of that caramel creamer?" he asked slowly, sending my mind on a trip and my head was suddenly fogged with how attractive he had sounded.

Brad looked a little put off, but he still nodded and started to make the drink. "Five dollars." he called from one of the machines, and Harry pulled it out without flinching.

I frowned. "Harry, I always wondered how you got so much money." I brought it up. "Like when your tires got slashed that day and you could easily pay for a mechanic. And when you could afford the gas as well as your car."

"Gang funds." Harry sighed, as if reminiscing on the memories was like stale bread on the tip of his tongue. "Every fight I won-- one hundred dollars."

My eyes widened in amazement. "How many did you win?"

"Almost every one." he answered almost right away. "I was basically undefeated. Only Liam had managed to beat me, and that was in the middle of the night. During the day is my prime."

"You're in your prime twenty four-seven." I said cheesily, looking up at him with a small smile. "I want to see you fight one day."

Harry seemed happy by those words. "Maybe one day you will. Be it surely will not be because of a gang."

I nodded in agreement. "I hope not."

Harry paid for his drink and we sat down in a small booth by a window, where we could safely people watch.

"This was not my idea of a first date." Harry said, sticking a straw into the cup. He had gotten two straws; the drink was ours to share. "But I'll take whatever I can get."

I giggled. "Harry, you're such a dork."

He leaned in for a kiss and stole one while I wasn't paying attention.

"Yeah, but I'm your dork."