Chapter 24 - New Friends

It had been another two days of Isadora trying to get to the fort. They stopped to rest late evening and were back up at a reasonable time the next morning. She felt mucky, with the dirt of days stuck to her cheek. Her mare was muddy and her legs almost shook when they were still. To make matters worse, the sun was hidden behind several dark clouds and it looked like a storm was coming.

"We should be there by now," she pulled her hood over her now dirty hair. "Where is the damn tree? Gods!"

She pulled the mare around watching the horizon looking for the tree signaling the fort. And she almost missed it. But, the dot...I am sure that is it.

"Hya!" she squeezed her legs and the mare started galloping towards the tree.

CRACK!

The sky kissed the ground with a shock of lighting. Hadassah reared up and the princess hung on to the horse's neck, hugging her. "Relax," she calmed her friend, "don't do this. We are almost there. Let's go!"

They galloped again, this time harder. Quickly, they came towards the tree-

"Fuck the damn tree! I am so done with this shit," the horse almost coming to a trot, "I am getting you there today. Hya!" The horse kept going passing the tree.

There. The fort. Gods thank you. When I get ahold of this son of a bitch.

She could not think of him yet because...she did not know what to say to him.

She had to get herself together or she would fall. The rain now coming down hard did not let up, and once they both saw the fort her mare spurted even faster. "No ma'am," she pulled the reins in a bit, "we will slip and fall. I need you. I am not letting you go anywhere." The steed seemed to have faught her hard to regain the bit and keep going at the pace she wanted.

Once the fort came more into view, the mare seem to have slowed her speed and steadied her pace.

"Raise the gates! Let them in!" she heard a voice yell. She smiled to herself and held the reins tightly in her hands. They rode into the corridor and towards the gates, which had been pulled open in a hurry. They both skid to a stop once inside and she heard the gates being closed.

The princess breathed in hard and let go of the reins that now left a mark on her hands. She held onto her hood with shaking hands. As if on cue, her mare too stood with shaking legs. Some of the soldiers came looking at the mysterious rider that resembled too much of an unaccompanied woman.

"You have some balls coming here unaccompanied. I thought I taught you better than that." The Major came into full view coming from the stairs that led to the gatehouse.

"This is urgent," she started, "besides, I am tired of sitting on my ass. I have done that for 20 years, If I am to become Queen I might as well take what I want."

"He is not here. If that is what you were wondering. That IS what you were wondering, right? I doubt a queen-to-be, unchaperoned at that, is proper," retorted the Major.

"If I remember correctly you also taught me to fight with a sword, alongside my father and brothers. I don't think a queen with a sword and shield is proper? Is it?" she pushed back.

"No, my princess. It is hardly proper. But, these are different times."

Isadora pulled her hood down as the rain was finally slowing down, "So, as my future Army General, will you also be advising me in my duties as Queen?"

"No, my princess," he bowed his head, the other soldiers around knelt to their knees, "I could never put myself in the shoes of a woman. I am a mere servant of them."

"Please, all of you! Get up! It is raining for Gods' sake. Take cover. I will have your Major's head," she smiled and he moved to help her down her horse. A soldier came to take the mare, "Please, take care of my friend. She is tired."

"Be at ease, Princess. We take care of our battle mates. Charles is my right-hand man, he will see to her," Finn held the hand of his next soon-to-be Queen. Charles came and took Hadassah and talked to her sweetly leading her to the stables. "Let's get you into a room, a warm bath, and some fresh food."

They walked with Isadora's hand woven into the Major's arm and stepped inside of the castle fort. "Tim, you and some boys fetch some warm water for the princess here. And fetch me Luciana," Finn said to a boy not much older than 18.

"Yes, Major. Right away," he answered back, briskly running off to find more men.

"We will put you up here. Come," he led her up the stairs and into a room in front of his own. "I will put you in front of me. Don't want to risk a beheading by your father," he shook as if shivers went down his spine.

Isa giggled and looked up at him, "Thank you, Finn." They walked into a room with white walls and a twin bed. She took her cloak off and found the small bath nestled in a corner of the room.

"I am sorry it is not much," he insisted.

"No. Please. This is sufficient. Perfect actually," she smiled and looked out the window. Then looked down at her hands, "you know why I am here, right?"

He sighed, "Of course, little one." He looked at her with his hands resting on his sword, "But, I feel like you need to rest, first. Get comfortable. After dinner, I promise I will tell you everything I know."

She looked back up at him and nodded.

He turned around to go but then turned and said, "How long ago did you leave?"

"Almost a week ago. Why?"

"Shit," he whispered under his breath. "Before he left, a royal decree was sent out. I fear I cannot say more, it is dangerous Princess. Even within my walls. After dinner, we will discuss everything," just as he finished, a beautiful brown-skinned woman came in.

She was a bit taller than Isadora and had the most beautiful hazel-green eyes. Her hair was done in an up knot and curls cascading down her face. "Major, did you call for me?"

"Yes," he said, opening his hand gesturing to come in, "this is Princess Isadora of Castle Storm Hill, daughter of King Storm himself," the young woman bowed.

"Please, stand. There are no formalities here. I secretly hate them," she approached the young woman and grabbed her by her arms, making her stand.

"This is Luciana, Princess. She has been head of the house here for the past few years. She will help you with anything you need. The heart of the Castle Fort," he smiled sweetly.

Luciana smiled at Isadora, "I have heard a great deal about you. I am sure I can find some dresses for you."

"I do appreciate that, but it is not necessary-" she tried to finish.

"Nonsense. I insist, I do not remember the last time there was a female in this castle."

Isa smiled at her, "It is nice to have some company. I hope we can get to know each other."

"Come, let us find dresses for dinner while the boys fetch our bathing waters," Luciana smiled at her and led her to her own room.

Major Finn smiled and walked out to make sure the boys were doing what he had ordered them to.

*The picture above is Luciana*