Chapter 1-Coward

"I am so sick and tired of hearing the town's people speak of this matter. You know how humiliating this is?," yelled Isadora.

"For the love of the Gods, Isa. Do you have to yell? I'm sure the servants heard you this time," explained her sister, Penelope.

"I'm sorry Pen. I just cannot believe he would do such a thing. He knows how much it means to unite our kingdoms. As much as I don't want it, but it is duty," cried pouting. "And you know, I thought I was the woman here? Not him." They walked down the path of the gardens.

The sun was out and beating down on them, their dresses making it harder for them to actually breathe. They stopped by the pond, took out some bread and started feeding the ducks.

" I know this is hard for you Isa, but don't go doing something idiotic," said Penelope. " And yes, you are the woman here. I am certain that his parents are throwing their fits and tantrums trying to find him. You know, I heard that they already sent knights to see if they can find him. Even hounds to track him," she said handing her older sister another piece of bread.

Isadora took the bread her sister gave her and started feeding the ducks as they came up to her. "Is that so? Given that it took them almost two whole days to actually realize that he was gone, I find that hard to believe." Penelope looked at her sister in full amazement at her comment.

"Watch your tongue Isadora, the castle walls whisper."

"I know. I apologize. I just can't believe my utter luck lately. I don't know what to do. I was so sure and ready to get married. I wonder if he even cares about his responsibilities."

Finishing feeding the ducks, Penelope turned and put a gentle hand on her sister's shoulder. "Isadora don't worry. Who knows what he was thinking. He had been locked up in the castle his whole life, unless they were training him for combat then he must have been out in that massive garden. I almost feel sad for him, the weight of his kingdom is much greater than any other's. And you can't do anything, remember? We are stuck here." Penelope sighed. "Take this time to...reflect. Yes. You have free time now, until they find him of course. You could do whatever you want."

"I don't know Pen. It feels wrong to just sit here. And I know it is not right for a lady to be outside the walls of the castle to look for a man. But, I feel like all of my life's work is riding away with him."

Penelope looked at Isadora and whispered, "Isadora, why does it feel like you already know this boy?"

Isadora took the hand of her sister and led her away towards the back of the pond. Some thick trees had been aligned with each other and a hedge behind them. Isadora led her sister to the back of the hedge. She whispered: "Penelope, I've seen Prince Alexios before."

"What?!" said Penelope.

"Sssshhhh. Keep your voice low, someone could here us."

"B-but, when? Where? Isadora, you've known since birth that you are forbidden to see each other until your wedding day," said Penelope.

"I know. Although, it was an accident. It was that day we were all playing Hidden Child, remember?"

"Yes, I remember. We got caught though and got scolded. Because of the meeting father had with King Damien, who'd brought the Prince. We were told later that day when the King visited our castle, that we are forbidden to leave our rooms," explained Penelope.

"Exactly how you've said so. But, I made the mistake to take the path to father's Grand study. I heard them talking of my wedding day and I just had to stop," said Isadora.

"Oh Isa, why would you do such a thing? You know something bad was bound to happen. Oh my dear sister, sometimes I don't know why you do such things."

"Penelope, they were talking about MY wedding day. Why wouldn't I try and hear some of the things they spoke of," asked Isadora.

"Ok. Point proven."

Isadora sighed heavily and began, "I was just curious. So, I started listening and I didn't notice that one of the double doors was cracked open until I looked up. The prince was standing looking out of father's window, hand on the window leaning towards it, and the side of his body towards me."

Penelope looked at her with eyes and mouth open. "And...? C'mon now, what did he look like?" she smiled.

"Penelope, he was...was so...handsome. Tall, almost as tall as the window, raven black hair, skin almost gleaming and broad shouldered. So...I don't even know how to describe him...really."

Penelope just looked at her sister.

Seconds passed.

Penelope knew her sister could not be smitten, but it seemed that whenever the topic of the Prince came up she seemed...not herself. Her sister Isadora.

Isadora opened her mouth, but nothing came out. She tried this time with more luck, "He seemed almost...mystical. Like he belonged somewhere else. I don't remember if it was just the sunlight, but whatever it was he was...intriguing."

"Oh no. Did he see you? You said he was standing to the side," said Penelope.

"That's the thing, I'm not entirely sure. When I realized it was him, one of the nannies shouted our names and spooked me. Not only that, but the King turned around, father looked at the door, and the Prince...he turned to the side. I saw his eyes...they were...this blue, so unrecognizable...almost...grey. I realized he was looking right at me and not the small imaginable dark opening of the double door. I turned my head, but looked back at him just one more time before I rushed back down the corridor toward the Great Stairs."

Penelope looked at her with a sad smile, grabbed her hand and kissed it. "My dearest sister, I wish I could have the answers to what you were feeling. But, sadly I don't know."

"It cant be love, right? He didn't recognize who I was. Besides, we've never said a word to each other," pleaded Isadora.

"I think we should talk about this with mother. I am sure she will understand."

"You really believe so," asked Isadora.

"Yes, I do."

"We will then," Isadora took her sister's hand. leading them back to the entrance of the gardens to the back of the castle. Walking through the kitchens, the two sisters took the flight of stairs leading to the Great Stairs. They saw one of their brother's, a twin Raken, and stopped him.

"Raken," said Penelope,"have you seen mother?"

"She is in father's Grand office, reading," answered Raken.

They hurried down the stairs toward the main entrance, Isadora yelling: "Thank you dearest!"

"Most welcome!" yelled Raken back.

The girls turned left and hastily walked down the long hallway of windows stopping at a good sizable, brown pair of double doors. "You know it will be ok, right?" said Penelope.

" Oh, yes, I know. I'm just," she sighed, "still confused about the whole situation."

Penelope smiled at her, "Mother can solve almost anything."

Isadora smiled back almost laughing, "Yes, she is a miracle worker."

"Ok then. I am right here with you." Penelope opened one door for her nd her sister. "M'lady first, of course."

"You," smiled Isadora entering the Grand office. And soon stopped as she saw who was present in the big library.

Penelope closed the double door entering after her sister. She too, looked up and stopped. "Oh, the problem we have just created. Maybe we should have knocked first, right?"

Isadora answered,"Yeah. We probably should've knocked."

*The picture above is young Alexander*