Chapter 3-Detranium

"A-a story?" said Isadora.
"Yes child. A story. You do know what that is, right?" asked the King.
"Of course. I just...you caught me off guard," explained Isadora.
"Oh. Well, would you like to hear one?" he asked again.
"Yes. I suppose I would," Isadora finally answered.
"In the land of the older, things were very different," started the King, "Things were really hard and harsh. I, honestly, don't know how my family survived the War of Wars. My family, at that time, were not the sole rulers. The sole ruler of the land was King Tarsus, a magnificent King and ruler of the lands. So, magnificent that the Gods could praise him. But, his kingdom was being threatened by other kingdoms waging wars against each other. Since we were allies, of course, it was our duty to help them. Not only them, but each other. As they needed it tremendously. King Tarsus left for war, tales of his success spread all over the land. His conquests were written into books by his advisors. Tales of his mighty army were written as well. They loved their King as he loved them, they were his people. But, he would not love his army as much as he loved his beloved steed. Ah," he sighed and looked at her, "that was a mighty fine steed. The King owned that horse since he was not only but 12 years of age. He tamed that vile beast, and none other could ride that devil. It is said that this very beast was descended of Bucephalus, the mighty steed of Alexander the Great."
Isadora looked at the King with pure fascination. "I know how he felt then. I feel the same when riding my mare, Hadassah."
"Then you know," he agreed moving towards his seat and sitting down again. "King Tarsus and his horse, Detranium, riding to the battlefront! How that must've been a real sight. Detranium a fine, shiny, black steed- nostrils flaring, and almost twice the size of a regular horse. But, all good things come to an end unfortunately. Upon riding to help his army on Fanghill, the King was stopped by a group of enemies with lions. Lions. One of the enemy soldiers struck Detranium with their sword. While the King was too busy picking himself back up and fighting an enemy, Detranium was then clawed by one of the lions. It is said that on that day, King Tarsus' heart went with his beloved steed. The cries of the fine animal were heard by the King's men on the hill. They all cried that fateful day."
Isadora held her hand to her mouth covering a gasp. Tears threatened to come down her cheek. "How awful. I wouldn't know what to do," she said.
"Well," started King Damien, "I will tell you what King Tarsus did. He finished the Battle of Fanghill. He buried Detranium on that hill and sent his men back home. When reaching the castle that night, he cried himself to sleep in the lap of his beloved Queen. Word spread that the King was too bitter and angry to ride into battle any longer, his anger boiled over the kingdoms that were too wrapped up in themselves to see what they had done to their beloved land. His hate for them grew and grew to such an unlikely character. He refused to ride into battle, not for cowardice but for the cries that he heard in his dreams of his beloved and trustworthy steed. One night, the King, wrapped in a cloak, sneaked into the temple of the Gods. That night, only he and the Gods know what he asked for. But, on the next day my great great grandfather, as one of his friends, decided to pay him a visit. Everyone hoped that maybe he could talk some sense into King Tarsus. They decided to go out in the garden, both families upon the request of both Kings, and have a picnic. To eat, drink, dance, play and just have some fun. The Kings decided to have a friendly duel, see which family would win. As each family cheered on their given King, my grandfather abruptly stopped, holding his stomach. King Tarsus telling the children to go back into the castle and for the Queens to hurry back with medics. While everyone was busy yelling and watching, King Tarsus was fearful for my grandfather. Thinking of his beloved steed, he held on to my grandfather's hand and reassured him. When the Queens came back with medics, my grandfather's bones were cracking and elongating. And the most curious of things happened, a long bone from his forehead was sprouting, like a horn. In several seconds, my great great grandfather had turned in to a horse, a horse with a horn."
"You mean a unicorn?" asked Isadora with shock.
"Well...yes," said King Damien.
"Surely, you jest," she said.
"Surely, I do not, my dear. That fateful hour was not to be spoken of. But, it was quite curious when the King stepped off of his castle grounds on top of a horned steed," said King Damien.
"I could not have imagined," said Isadora.
"Anyway, years after the War of Wars, King Tarsus still rode and wondered upon my great great grandfather's back, eventually Tarsus died. My grandfather was named High King of Kings after his death for his loyalty and alliance. King Tarsus' son killed in the line of battle, but the rest of the family would live happily in their castle for the rest of their lives."
Isadora looked up at him. "Is Detranium still buried on Fanghill?" she asked with curiosity.
King Damien smiled at her and answered, "Yes. He is."
"Was that your family secret? The males turn into unicorns for war?" she asked.
"Not exactly. All of us can turn into unicorns. Even if you are a female. Especially...if you are about to marry into our family," explained the King.
"What?," asked Isadora with pure shock.

*The picture above is Detranium*