Chapter 8-Prayers

The sisters made their way out of Isadora's room with light steps, in fear of attracting noise and attention. As soon as they reached the stairs, Penelope turned to her sister, "I will wait for you at the stables, in Hadassah's stall. Remember, don't take too long." Isadora looked at her sister and nodded, "I won't. Be careful." "You too," Pen agreed. They both took the stairs, parting ways. Penelope headed to the stables and Isadora headed to the other wing of the castle, to the great throne room to pray. 

Isadora was about to turn the corner when she spotted a guard and gasped softly, but put her hand over her mouth. She pressed herself against the wall and waited for him to pass by. She controlled her breathing and decided to turn her head, she spotted him walking pass the double doors and turn the corner going left. 

She took her chance and with light feet scurried her way over to the grand wooden double doors. Quietly shutting the doors, she slowly made her way over to the hall. It was lightly lit by two torches on each wall. Reaching the steps, she kneeled and bowed her head closing her eyes. Then, she looked back up at her stoned Gods, each on the wall, each lit by a fire pit table. Isadora sighed heavily, her heart thumping loudly in her ears. She opened her mouth,but nothing came out. Then, she tried again:

"Dear Gods...I know very well that what I am about to do is not what you probably want. Hell, it's what nobody wants, but I can't sit here anymore and...do nothing. What if he needs help? What if...he's in trouble? What if he's....dead? We won't know until someone finds him. And, I know that his family is looking for him, but I don't think they have the best intentions. They only want him back because of the arrangement. But, Gods, if you'd only give me strength, and help me in this one chance that has presented itself to me, then....I will do everything in my power to keep this man happy for the rest of his days. As it is my duty, anyway. I know it's not a woman's concern to go out into the wilderness and look for a man, especially not by herself, but I promise you that this is all for good intentions. He is the one promised to me, I have a job to do. I feel....that....without this....there, really, is no other purpose for me on this world. So, that is why, Oh my Gods, Goddesses, and Lords, I am asking you....first of all, for forgiveness. I am disobeying my parents, my kingdom...you and everything I hold dear. Most of all, I am putting my dear sister at risk...she does not deserve it. She is good, kind, beautiful, and obedient. She will make a great Queen. So, if you decide to punish someone, Please I beg you, let it be me. And, if so, give me the strength that I was taught to endure anything that comes my way......"

She silently bowed her head and kept whispering her prayers.