Infighting (40)

Then, the whole sky turned red.

Dropping to the ground, Kai curled into a ball as the searing heat engulfed his body, singing the edges of his pure white tunic. Whatever jumped in front of him did a good job of blocking the main part of the explosion.

A thunderous roar of noise echoes throughout the Dome, the combined explosion of countless quater moon abominations creating an enourmous crater in the ground.

The remnants of the explosion start to dwindle, yet it still hurt to breath. As the heat starts to die down, Kai opened his eyes, feeling them burn slightly, and lifts his head.

Utter devastation.

That's the only way Kai can describe what he sees. Countless bloody carcasses belonging to some of the weaker crescent moon beasts scatter the area. Majority lie in the massive crater formed by the explosion. The sight was absolutely horrifying. The crater was stained red with beast blood and was decorated with the insides of their bodies.

The worst feature of the crater though, was the lack of a human body.

Rashik was gone.

Looking down slightly, Kai spots an oversized paw in front of his face, a paw without a body.

Wait...

Looking up, Kai spots the body which the paw belongs to. Aldred stood over Kai, protecting him from the explosion. The edges of his pristine gray fur was singed, but overall the explosion did little damage to the full moon beast. Still, even if the explosion and flames did no damage, that doesn't explain the deep cut mark on the wolfs side.

"Aldred-" Before Kai can speak, the sound of dirt being pushed is heard from across the crater. Turning to the source of the noise, Kai spots a disheveled figure making a mad dash for the cave entrance.

The figure had a purple bodysuit, olive skin, short black hair and a scabbard attached to their waist. They didn't stop to check if any of the moon beasts were alive or breathing, they only cared about making it to the cave entrance.

"Noelle! What are you doing?"

Noelle ignored Kai as she continued sprinting to the cave, presumably to chase down Rashik. Murder can be seen in her eyes as she ran, not caring about anything around her.

Quickly picking himself off the ground, Kai takes off towards the running girl. He is closer to the cave entrance so he should be able to get there before her.

...probably.

The outlines of the two running could almost be a poetic sight, if someone who actually cared about poetry was there, that is.

Sadly, even though Kai was closer, he was much slower. Noelle was just about to reach the hollow when a hand grabbed her arm from behind.

"Noelle! What the hell do you think you can do? He has a damn army!"

Noelle tugs her arm, trying to break free, but Kai holds strong. Without turning around, Noelle continued to try and free her arm as she shouts.

"Let go of me Kai! I need to kill that bastard!

Kai's grip tightens around her arm.

"Noelle, just stop it! You can't-"

His concentration on holding onto Noelles left arm was so good, he didn't even notice her right swinging around.

The feeling of a fist connecting to his cheek sends Kai sprawling backwards, the punch connecting perfectly with his jaw.

Falling to the ground, Kai feels his head spin as he woozily turns his head to look up at Noelle, his eyes wide with shock.