Chapter 1: London 1815

London 1815

Dearest gentle reader,

Alas! Another season has brought upon London. The ton has returned after a grueling journey from their own respective country estates.

This author can only watch in the shadows as the ambitious and persistent mamas of the society once again exhibit their debutantes in hope of a match for a husband this season.

What better way would it be, than to welcome and see who the diamond of the first water will be tomorrow at the presentation party? Should there be one to satisfy her Majesty the Queen's eyes that is.

This author had also heard that a certain Featherington lady had come back with an inheritance enough to console her from last year's scandal.

Now dearest readers, should we wonder, with a big dowry at hand, would this young feather be part of the fantasies from the ton's most eligible bachelors?

That we will see.

Yours Truly,

Lady Whistledown

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back at their Mayfair estate, the Featherington family have slowly descended from their carriage inhaling the most familiar London wind. The widowed Baroness, Portia Featherington could not be more frantic to prepare for the upcoming festivities, now that there are still two unwed daughters under her wings.

Their housekeeper Mrs. Varley welcomed the red-haired ladies as they take upon the steps of their home. The old maid bowed and greeted each to Portia, followed by Prudence. Philippa missing on the scene as she had already been wed to Albion Finch last season.

However, the loyal maid has come to silence when the youngest miss showed upon herself. Penelope was still the same shy, plump third daughter, but something about her has mysteriously changed. Varley noticed that the kindest lady on the house have embraced a light lilac dress opposite to the bright yellow her mother often enforces her to wear. Penelope's ginger hair had been laid down reaching almost up to her waist, leaving her curls straightened out to waves. Ever since young, Varley knew that Penelope Featherington is the nicest and most sensible among those she serves on the house, but never has she realized in her life-long service that the youngest miss had this beauty hidden until now.

Exhausted from the journey and the unending yapping of her mama during their travel, Penelope entered their home without noticing the dumb-founded look on their housekeeper's face.

"Was that Penelope?" Violet Bridgerton asks as she noticed the young lady entered the mansion across. Just like the Featheringtons, all of the Bridgertons have come back in their Number five estate in Mayfair to welcome this year's social season.

"Hmm.. I think so mother. Unless both our eyes have contracted a weird disease during this travel to make us see otherwise." Benedict responded as he took a glance on their long-time neighbors' steps.

Eloise, the second daughter of the family, tried as hard not to take notice of what her mother and brother have been staring at. Penelope was her dearest and closest friend, however, after her own discovery of her friend's secret identity, they were no longer on speaking terms. Though curious as to what made Penelope gain such reaction from her family, Eloise turned around to come inside their home and not gave herself a chance to join in on the conversation. She figured, whatever there is to the red-haired girl, she will see it on the upcoming balls. Only if Eloise herself, will come in attendance.